Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WatchOS will not update

My Apple Watch 6 is on WatchOS 7.3.3, and I cannot update to a new version.

Several times, it prompted me to do an evening update, and I set it up to do so, but it failed to update. Now, when I go to the Watch app on my phone and go to the General -> Software Update page, it says:

“To update the software on your Apple Watch, you first need to update the software on your iPhone.”

the problem is that my iPhone is on iOS 14.8 and it claims to be up to date.

when I try to update from the Watch, it says:

”Checking for update…”

”Unable to Check for Update

An error occurred while checking for a software update”

I have already tried rebooting both devices, and I even unpaired and re-paired my watch with my phone. This had no effect, and I was still unable to update the watch.

Posted on Oct 21, 2021 6:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2021 6:48 PM

You should update your iPhone first to iOS 15.0.2.

After that you can install watchOS 8.0.1

Similar questions

2 replies

WatchOS will not update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.