Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is stored in the "other" section. I've got 131.92G that I cannot reduce and cannot download recent operating systems (after cutting down in all other areas).

I'm reducing storage on my mac. What is stored in the "other" section. I've got 31.92G that I cannot reduce and cannot download recent operating systems (after cutting down in all other areas).

Posted on Oct 21, 2021 7:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2021 9:24 PM

Since you have a Mac, the reference to an iPhone is not appropriate. Unfortunately, you cannot manage that category, the OS does that.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/system-information/syspf9b375b9/11.0/mac/11.0

Do you do regular backups with Time Machine? Quite often, if you do not, TM will create local snapshots on your Mac until you do the next backup and those can potentially use quite a bit of space. You can check your TM to see if there are any.

By the way, you need to maintain more space that what you show - the OS needs an absolute minimum of 10 - 15 GB of space at all times plus you need enough space for whatever you want to download.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 21, 2021 9:24 PM in response to rahsaan129

Since you have a Mac, the reference to an iPhone is not appropriate. Unfortunately, you cannot manage that category, the OS does that.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/system-information/syspf9b375b9/11.0/mac/11.0

Do you do regular backups with Time Machine? Quite often, if you do not, TM will create local snapshots on your Mac until you do the next backup and those can potentially use quite a bit of space. You can check your TM to see if there are any.

By the way, you need to maintain more space that what you show - the OS needs an absolute minimum of 10 - 15 GB of space at all times plus you need enough space for whatever you want to download.

Oct 21, 2021 8:10 PM in response to rahsaan129

rahsaan129 Said:

"What is stored in the "other" section. I've got 131.92G that I cannot reduce and cannot download recent operating systems (after cutting down in all other areas).: I'm reducing storage on my mac. What is stored in the "other" section. I've got 31.92G that I cannot reduce and cannot download recent operating systems (after cutting down in all other areas)."

-------

About the Storage Named "Other":

"Other" It basically contains unnecessary files such as caches that are used for system ease of use - all of which gather over time: How to Clear "Other" in your iPhone's Storage - Use Backup - User Tips. Caches would be being used for remembrance of application use. So, clearing other may be the way to go about this, as it would be performed through use of a computer.

What is stored in the "other" section. I've got 131.92G that I cannot reduce and cannot download recent operating systems (after cutting down in all other areas).

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.