Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

User Library shows larger size than some of contents

My Users Library folder is showing some 196GB used in get info yet if I use du to get the space used by the contents of Library it only shows 105GB even that seems excessive, how do I clean it I am about to receive a new Mac and I will use my backup to transfer to the new Mac but I don't want to transfer garbage that is not required.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Oct 22, 2021 1:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2021 2:16 AM

Unfortunately du won't show system folders protected by macOS such as cache folders which return permissions errors - even under su/sudo.

The cleanest way to setup a new Mac requires a bit more effort:

-manually copy data from a backup - Documents, Desktop, Pictures, Music, etc.

-re-setup Mail accounts - mail should come back if you use IMAP, Exchange, Gmail, or other server-based mail

-selectively reinstall apps

-turn on iCloud backup for Contacts, Favorites, etc. on the old Mac will repopulate on the new Mac when you sign into iCloud (assuming you have enough storage)

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 22, 2021 2:16 AM in response to Reg@expertreward

Unfortunately du won't show system folders protected by macOS such as cache folders which return permissions errors - even under su/sudo.

The cleanest way to setup a new Mac requires a bit more effort:

-manually copy data from a backup - Documents, Desktop, Pictures, Music, etc.

-re-setup Mail accounts - mail should come back if you use IMAP, Exchange, Gmail, or other server-based mail

-selectively reinstall apps

-turn on iCloud backup for Contacts, Favorites, etc. on the old Mac will repopulate on the new Mac when you sign into iCloud (assuming you have enough storage)

User Library shows larger size than some of contents

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.