Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

User file too large

On my Macintosh hard drive, my user file is 60 GB, but if I add up the individual sub-files it only comes to about 15 GB. I recently updated my BigSur, MacBook Pro 2015. On 'about this mac' storage, the largest section is 'other'. I am running low on space.

Secondary question, if I buy a new computer will a whole bunch of useless, or possibly dangerous files be transferred over?

Thanks, Ray

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Jun 18, 2022 11:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 18, 2022 3:14 PM

Thankyou, this is very helpful.

In fact I have ordered a 14" MacBook Pro M1. My present computer has well over ten years of miscellany on it, and the idea of starting anew very pristine is very attractive, which said it's hard to see the advantage of 'migrating'.

3 replies

Jun 18, 2022 2:35 PM in response to Raymond Nelson

Answer Number # 1

What is “Other” storage on a Mac, and how can I clean it out?

Free up storage space on your Mac

OmniDiskSweeper Safe to use

GrandPerspective 

How to delete Time Machine snapshots on your Mac

See used and available storage space on your Mac

Locate backups of your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

The final word from Apple on Managing the " Other/ System Data “ Category

Other / System Data: Contains files that don’t fall into the categories listed here. This category primarily includes files and data used by the system, such as log files, caches, VM files, and other runtime system resources. Also included are temporary files, fonts, app support files, and plug-ins. You can't manage the contents of this category. The contents are managed by macOS, and the category varies in size depending on the current state of your Mac.

Answer # 2

If the new computer is going to be the Apple Silicon M1 Equipped Computer - would suggest Only Migrating the User Account and nothing more.

Some have had success and other have been left with a mess when Migrating everything.

1 - Apple Silicon with either Big Sur macOS 11 or Monterey macOS 12 Only Support everything 64 bit and there is no workaround.

2 - Issues that may exist on the older computer will be migrated to the New Computer. This would badly pollute the new Original and Pristine installation of the new OS.

3 -  Applications, extensions and Software Drivers may or may not even work on the new computer.

4 - IMHO - it would be best to only install new application etc Directly from the Developer or the Apple Apps Store.

5 - Due Diligence on New Applications and make sure they are Monterey / Big Sur compatible and factor in the ARMs CPU of the Apple Silicon Computer  

User file too large

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.