Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Exchange password required"

I have a client who is getting a persistent nag from macOS that their "Exchange password required".

No matter how many times these are re-entered, the account is removed and re-added, the keychain entries related to this password are deleted and tried again, it always comes back. Sometimes it takes a few hours, sometimes a few days, once it was a couple of weeks, but it always returns.

Microsoft has gone as far as to tell me to turn off MFA, and Modern Authentication, but that is a security risk that I do not feel comfortable taking (as it could mean leaving it off for over a week to determine if the issue is being caused there). A point of clarification, though, because there seems to be some crossed wires in every thread I read about this: The request for credentials is coming from Internet Accounts in macOS System Preferences. It is not being called from the native mail app, or Outlook (which they do use for email). Essentially, the only thing they need them there for is to enable them to use iCal for their calendars for the affected accounts.

Has anyone seen this, have any suggestions or otherwise advice to give me in this situation? I did search for this issue and I cannot find a single thread that has a good answer on just about any site.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro

Posted on Oct 22, 2021 10:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2021 9:25 AM

wizardchris wrote:

I have a client who is getting a persistent nag from macOS that their "Exchange password required".

No matter how many times these are re-entered, the account is removed and re-added, the keychain entries related to this password are deleted and tried again, it always comes back. Sometimes it takes a few hours, sometimes a few days, once it was a couple of weeks, but it always returns.

Microsoft has gone as far as to tell me to turn off MFA, and Modern Authentication, but that is a security risk that I do not feel comfortable taking (as it could mean leaving it off for over a week to determine if the issue is being caused there). A point of clarification, though, because there seems to be some crossed wires in every thread I read about this: The request for credentials is coming from Internet Accounts in macOS System Preferences. It is not being called from the native mail app, or Outlook (which they do use for email). Essentially, the only thing they need them there for is to enable them to use iCal for their calendars for the affected accounts.

Has anyone seen this, have any suggestions or otherwise advice to give me in this situation? I did search for this issue and I cannot find a single thread that has a good answer on just about any site.

Thanks!

For account issues in the mac Mail.app the go to way of sorting anomalies/issues is to delete the account and add it back in

Add or remove email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

IMAP stays on the server so no issue

POP move any email you want to keep to "On My Mac" folders if you want to preserve content.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 23, 2021 9:25 AM in response to wizardchris

wizardchris wrote:

Thanks!

For account issues in the mac Mail.app the go to way of sorting anomalies/issues is to delete the account and add it back in

Add or remove email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

IMAP stays on the server so no issue

POP move any email you want to keep to "On My Mac" folders if you want to preserve content.

Nov 24, 2021 5:47 AM in response to leroydouglas

I have the same nag/Notification pop up several time a day saying "Exchange Password Required... Enter your password for "jim.smith" in Internet Accounts. When I bring up Internet Accounts, there is NOWHERE to enter a password. In addition, Mail isn't even turned on in either of my Exchange accounts - just Contacts/Calendars/Reminders/Notes.

So I just keep cancelling the notification, it's quite a waste of time and annoying. However, all of my Contacts, Calendars, etc DO seem to be syncing from the Outlook accounts.

Seems like a definite bug from Apple, it would be nice to fix this.

Nov 24, 2021 5:47 AM in response to wizardchris

I have the same nag/Notification pop up several time a day saying "Exchange Password Required... Enter your password for "jim.smith" in Internet Accounts. When I bring up Internet Accounts, there is NOWHERE to enter a password. In addition, Mail isn't even turned on in either of my Exchange accounts - just Contacts/Calendars/Reminders/Notes.

So I just keep cancelling the notification, it's quite a waste of time and annoying. However, all of my Contacts, Calendars, etc DO seem to be syncing from the Outlook accounts.

Seems like a definite bug from Apple, it would be nice to fix this.

Nov 27, 2021 3:04 PM in response to wizardchris

Exactly the same issue here. I have researched this extensively and none of the answers are helpful. No one seems to understand this is a notification from from Mac OS Settings - NOT Mac Mail.

I don't use Mac Mail, and am only syncing my Microsoft 365 account for contacts and calendar. The error message doesn't seem to have any effect though - everything is still syncing fine. I just dismiss the error every day - so it seems to be a bug.

"Exchange password required"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.