Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Silicon - Third Party Software: M1 vs. M1 Pro/Max

Recall that when the first M1 Macs hit the market in 2020, most third party software companies had to play catch up to make their software work fully compatible with Apple Silicon and the M1 chip (not talking about Rosetta 2, rather fully compatible).

So, now that there is a new line of MacBook Pros with either the M1 Pro or M1 Max, is there any difference between M1 chip types that would cause existing M1 third party software to NOT be fully compatible with the new M1 Pro or M1 Max?

Posted on Oct 22, 2021 4:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2021 7:08 PM

Not really. Just more CPU cores, but that is something the operating system deals with. Just more graphics cores, but again that is something the operating system, and Metal graphics interface handles.

It would only be an issue if some developer attempted to program the hardware directory and not use the macOS frameworks, which is highly unlikely.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 22, 2021 7:08 PM in response to Jim F

Not really. Just more CPU cores, but that is something the operating system deals with. Just more graphics cores, but again that is something the operating system, and Metal graphics interface handles.

It would only be an issue if some developer attempted to program the hardware directory and not use the macOS frameworks, which is highly unlikely.

Nov 7, 2021 9:43 PM in response to Keith Barkley

ARM version of Windows under Parallels ... correct, but I don't think there is an ARM version of AOE? Trying to install AOE 4 under steam but then it fails immediately stating an incompatibility due to lack of avx support.

I understand (from some google searches) the M1 runs on ARMv8 and that the new M1 Pro/Max chips will run on ARMv9 architecture. Will ARMv9 be able to support avx?

Dec 8, 2021 6:04 PM in response to Cederico

Cederico thank you for pointing that out. Another big issue with not supporting AVX is Native Instruments "Massive" is not supported. Like you, I am not bashing Apple here, it is just a fact. It is important for gamers and musicians to know these facts before they upgrade to a new machine. With that said, a lot of programs for musicians will run using Rosetta, and the M1 is quite an achievement. Thank you Apple.

It does not seem like the new M1Pro/Max addressed this issue. It is a bummer. It is thought that if Native Instruments rewrites the code for Massive to us the MX architecture, it would run very slow, so it is a bit of a bump in the road for musicians, as Rosetta does not resolve this issue. I don't know if ARM will help resolve this.

Apple Silicon - Third Party Software: M1 vs. M1 Pro/Max

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.