Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there any way to refresh the thumbnail image in Photos for Mac?

Sometimes, when I scan negatives, then need to rotate them before importing them to Photos, the thumbnail in is the wrong orientation (but, when opened, the photo is orientated correctly). In Aperture it used to be possible to regenerate the thumbnail for an image. Is there a way to do that in MacOS Photos (6.0 - Big Sur).

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Oct 23, 2021 3:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2021 7:13 AM

Hi - Select them all. Then from the image menu, rotate clockwise, then rotate anti clockwise. Does that work?

You could also try auto enhance followed by (if you wish) revert to original. But this will undo any edits you might have applied.

5 replies

Oct 24, 2021 1:20 PM in response to TonyCollinet

It’s interesting. Rotate and rotate back seems to work some of the time, but not always (even going right round the clock flips back to the wrong orientation on the fourth click).

Auto-enhance and off again is an interesting idea - I will try it (they are all freshly imported - if I edit them the problem goes away).

I also think I should pay more attention to how I am actually correcting the orientation before importing to see what causes the problems - or maybe I should try not to do that but correct them after import (I think it’s SilverFast that sometimes isn’t exporting scans in the right orientation but I could be fixing them in Preview or in Finder).

If my further testing reveals anything I will post back here (next time I scan a film - I think I’ve fixed them all for now).

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Is there any way to refresh the thumbnail image in Photos for Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.