Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV, no settings menu in Google Chrome. Can't turn off Voice Over mode.

I accidentally turned on Voice Over by clicking Closed Captioning while watching a movie. Clicking it again does NOT toggle it off.

Online instructions tell me to go to the Settings menu, but it is not available, either on the screen while watching the movie, or on the home screen.

And can someone PLEASE tell me how to toggle Voice Over without a Settings Menu.

NOTE TO APPLE: When I use a control to turn something on, I expect the same control to turn it off.

Thank, Mike

Apple TV

Posted on Oct 23, 2021 5:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2021 8:56 AM

Is there an Apple TV app for Windows 10?

There is not. On Windows computers, the advise is to use the web access.

There is an app for TV-connected streaming devices, such as Roku, Fire TV, and Chromecast with Google TV, and several newer models smart TVs. All the ways to watch in the Apple TV app - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 24, 2021 8:56 AM in response to mlbex

Is there an Apple TV app for Windows 10?

There is not. On Windows computers, the advise is to use the web access.

There is an app for TV-connected streaming devices, such as Roku, Fire TV, and Chromecast with Google TV, and several newer models smart TVs. All the ways to watch in the Apple TV app - Apple Support

Oct 24, 2021 5:01 AM in response to mlbex

in Google Chrome

The browser? For the site tv.apple.com?

I accidentally turned on Voice Over by clicking Closed Captioning

I’m pretty sure those are two separate functions with separate settings.

The scene-narrating voice is Audio Descriptions (AD), which is different from VoiceOver. It is available as a separate audio language track, marked ‘AD’. Select a non-AD audio track to turn it off.

Online instructions tell me to go to the Settings menu, but it is not available, either on the screen while watching the movie, or on the home screen.

The online documentation is differentiated by device. E.g. the Apple TV app on Mac has different settings than the Apple TV app on Roku, and both are different from the browser experience.

Oct 24, 2021 8:30 AM in response to Urquhart1244

I couldn't tell whether I was using an Apple TV app or a simple website on the Chrome browser. To find that answer, I went to Apple and tried to find a download for the Apple TV app, thinking maybe the app worked better than the website, but couldn't find a download for Windows 10. With most apps, it's simple: Go to website, specify which device you're using, click Download.

My Apps list on my computer does not list an Apple app either, but all the online documentation refers to one. I still don't know whether there is a separate app for Windows.

Does Apple ALWAYS have to be so opaque?

In the beginning, I turned CC ON with a single click, and apparently English AD is the default. By guessing, I finally figured out how to switch to plain English. There is an OFF button on the same pull-down menu, but it only appears occasionally, and it doesn't turn the darn thing OFF. I selected it many times before seeking help, and it never worked. The button I used to turn it CC ON did not turn it OFF.

Also, most pull down menus show you your current selection (ON/OFF), and toggle it when you select it again. But this UI is opaque; that's why I had to hunt down this site and ask my question.

How this menu should have worked:

-A single button displays the current selection (ON or OFF), and switches your selection when you click it.

-Select ON, and the current sub selection (English AD) appears.

-Hover on English AD and a pull-down list of alternatives appears (English, Bahasa, Portuguese Spanish, etc).

This is why I have dumped Apple for my phone, pad, and laptop. They used to be the company with the easy UI. Now they have Easter eggs for common functionality.

Thanks for letting me vent. If I hadn't figured it out myself (after much frustration), this would have answered my question enough to watch the program without the AD.

If you care to answer my first question (is there an Apple TV app for Windows 10 that would make this easier), I'd appreciate it. Either way, I'll close it with "This solved my question" when I hear back.

Mike

Apple TV, no settings menu in Google Chrome. Can't turn off Voice Over mode.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.