Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I get this Apple ID and email off my iPad?

I purchased an older iPad for my son it is linked to tue old persons apple Id and email how can I get this off to use with my id ... I can not longer find tue person I purchased it from she was a very nice old lady and this was a simple oversight on her part and me not knowing anything about apple products . any help would be great .

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Oct 24, 2021 10:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2021 11:22 AM

The "old lady" seller should have performed this procedure:--> What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If she can't do it, you have an "activation locked" device in your hands and, if you are talking about "activation lock" (an anti-theft measure), neither we, just users like you, nor Apple can help you, sorry, unless you are the original owner and you still have the proof of purchase (receipt/invoice reporting your device’s IMEI or Serial Number). Should be this case, start your request using this link: https://al-support.apple.com/#/additional-support

Shouldn’t be this case, activation lock can be removed only by the previous owner, with the credentials that were used to activate that iPhone/iPad. Without those credentials, that device is useless to you.

You can also take a look at this support article:--> How to remove Activation Lock - Apple Support

Regards

Giulio

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 24, 2021 11:22 AM in response to Joshnkandra

The "old lady" seller should have performed this procedure:--> What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If she can't do it, you have an "activation locked" device in your hands and, if you are talking about "activation lock" (an anti-theft measure), neither we, just users like you, nor Apple can help you, sorry, unless you are the original owner and you still have the proof of purchase (receipt/invoice reporting your device’s IMEI or Serial Number). Should be this case, start your request using this link: https://al-support.apple.com/#/additional-support

Shouldn’t be this case, activation lock can be removed only by the previous owner, with the credentials that were used to activate that iPhone/iPad. Without those credentials, that device is useless to you.

You can also take a look at this support article:--> How to remove Activation Lock - Apple Support

Regards

Giulio

Oct 24, 2021 3:39 PM in response to Joshnkandra

You’ll need the assistance of the previous owner -,as without their help you’ll not be able to reuse the iPad. The previous owner needs to release the Activation Lock before you’ll be able to set-up the iPad. This procedure outlines the available methods to accomplish what needs to be done:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Purchasing a pre-owned iPad is fraught with risk - as many are Activation Locked. An Activation Locked device can only be recovered by the previous owner whose AppleID previously and successfully set-up the iPad.

The All Too Common SAD Reality of Buying … - Apple Community

Here is what Apple suggests when purchasing a used device:

Check for Activation Lock before you buy a device from someone else.

Before you buy an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, from someone other than Apple or an authorized Apple reseller, make sure that the device is erased and no longer linked to the previous owner’s account. Follow these steps to check if the device is ready to use: 

1. Turn on and unlock the device. 
  2. If the passcode lock screen or the Home screen appears, the device hasn't been erased. Ask the seller to completely erase the device by going to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings. Don't take ownership of any used iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch until it's been erased.
  3. Begin the device setup process.
  4. If you're asked for the previous owner’s Apple ID and password, the device is still linked to their account. Hand the device back to the seller and ask them to enter their password. If the previous owner isn't present, contact them as soon as possible and ask them to use a browser to remove the device from their account. Don't take ownership of any used iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch until it has been removed from the previous owner’s account.

You will know that a device is ready for you to use when you're asked to "Set up your iPhone," “Set up your iPad," or “Set up your iPod” the first time you turn it on.

How can I get this Apple ID and email off my iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.