Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Update request blocking apps from working on macOS Catalina

I'm having an issue, specifically with Numbers, in that it will not let me edit my docs as it says "A Numbers Update is available" and prevents any editing. My MBP is too old for the latest OS update, so I cannot get the Numbers update as macOS 11+ is required.

Right now I am having to disconnect from the internet in order to edit anything in Numbers... Anyone know of a workaround to stop Numbers trying to update?

My info:

macOS Catalina 10.15.7

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012)

2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1 GB

Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 25, 2021 8:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2021 10:05 AM

The only solution I found was this:

Copy all of the tables from the sheets and paste them into a new Numbers file outside any shared folder.

There is no reason that Numbers should become unusable like this because of one incompatible feature.

8 replies

Oct 26, 2021 2:38 AM in response to PRP_53

Unfortunately that option doesn't exist. I can give some further information:

The problem really entered a feedback loop when I originally tried to 'Collaborate' (before encountering this problem).

Now when I open Numbers I get this popup:

If I choose 'Not Now' it stops me editing the doc, if I try to click on the 'Collaborate' button I get the prompt (below), and if I choose 'Go to App Store' I cannot get the update because of my old OS:

My last remaining option is to work on the spreadsheet in a browser, which is clunky, slow & crashes all the time.

Is there a way to rescind Collaborate? I feel like this is the feature that is causing this problem, and if I could edit this somewhere that might fix the issue.

Oct 26, 2021 4:18 AM in response to sambrewster

Stop sharing a document

Open the document, then tap or click the Collaborate button  > Stop Sharing, then tap or click OK.

When you stop sharing, the document is removed from iCloud Drive for all participants. If you re-share the document later, the link will remain the same. If you set the document's Share Option to "Only people you invite," you will need to re-invite participants.

To stop sharing a document that is inside a shared folder, move the document outside of the shared folder.

Oct 26, 2021 4:33 AM in response to sambrewster

After thought - if the Other Person(s) who is sharing the same document ( Numbers ) is editing the document on a Newer Version of Numbers - this issue will persist.

There is newer version of Numbers and are only available on newer versions of macOS like Big Sur and Monterey.

Though, judging from details of this machine - Catalina is as far up the macOS this computer can go :-((

Nov 9, 2021 1:52 PM in response to sambrewster

It would appear all reasonable options, workarounds and solutions have been exhausted.

The limitation imposed for the functionality is really related to the age of the computer and not really a limitation imposed by Apple.

Yes, the machine maybe a well working machine for the purposes it is being used for, but the its' age is showing as it does not qualify for anything newer that Catalina

Update request blocking apps from working on macOS Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.