Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to restore/update iPad - need advice!

Hello All,

This morning when I went to wake up my iPad there was an Apple logo on the screen, even though I hadn't shut it down the night before or rebooted it. I have not been able to start it up since. It displays the Apple logo and sometimes the "red screen of death."

I managed to get the restore screen to appear and connected it to iTunes on my Mac, but am unable to proceed with either an update or a restore: iTunes tells me it is extracting the software and then preparing the iPad, but each time it ends with an error message, such as "The iPad could not be updated. An unknown error occurred (4013). "

Is there anything else I can try?

I would be grateful for any tips or advice.

Thanks

iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi

Posted on Oct 25, 2021 10:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2021 10:37 AM

Details of error #4013 can be found here:

If you see error 9, 4005, 4013, or 4014 when you restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies

Oct 25, 2021 3:20 PM in response to LotusPilot

Thank you, LotusPilot. I have tried all the steps outlined to no avail. Tried using different USB cables and different desktops but keep getting error messages. I can't start it up and can't power it down. It just alternates between the apple logo and the restore screen. When I try to update, iTunes says it can't be updated and needs to be restored, but after downloading and extracting the software, the restore always fails.

Oct 25, 2021 7:14 PM in response to Lutetia

Well I took the iPad to a local service centre for an "Apple Genius-style" consultation (booked via the local Apple store website). Without performing any additional diagnostics, he said that error 4013 is either the logic board or the lightning connection and that the unit cannot be repaired. He saw no point in looking into the issue further. Very disappointing.

Unable to restore/update iPad - need advice!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.