Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hi! I can not install Monterey. I receive followin message message: Installation failed. An error occurred while installing the selected update. My mac iMac: (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019, 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, 630GB free space)

Hi! I can not install Monterey. I receive followin message message: Installation failed. An error occurred while installing the selected update. My mac iMac: (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019, 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, 630GB free space). Any ideas?

iMac 27″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 25, 2021 12:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2021 8:30 AM

Does the OP have an Apple SSD installed? I ask because I had problem with upgrading late 2013 MP to Monterey. Maybe the OP has similar problem.

A while ago I replace the internal Apple SSD with an NVMe drive with adapter in my late 2013 MP. I successfully updated to Big Sur with no problem but could not update to Monterey. Could not even install Monterey on a blank external drive. Then I Googled and it appeared that an Apple internal SSD has to be installed in order to update the firmware and OS boot loader. I installed the original Apple SSD which had Mojave and updated successfully to Monterey. I then booted from my Big Sur NVMe SSD and successfully updated to Monterey. I am typing this from that OS now.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 26, 2021 8:30 AM in response to Old Toad

Does the OP have an Apple SSD installed? I ask because I had problem with upgrading late 2013 MP to Monterey. Maybe the OP has similar problem.

A while ago I replace the internal Apple SSD with an NVMe drive with adapter in my late 2013 MP. I successfully updated to Big Sur with no problem but could not update to Monterey. Could not even install Monterey on a blank external drive. Then I Googled and it appeared that an Apple internal SSD has to be installed in order to update the firmware and OS boot loader. I installed the original Apple SSD which had Mojave and updated successfully to Monterey. I then booted from my Big Sur NVMe SSD and successfully updated to Monterey. I am typing this from that OS now.

Oct 25, 2021 12:18 PM in response to Baronleave

Baronleave wrote:

Hi! I can not install Monterey. I receive followin message message: Installation failed. An error occurred while installing the selected update. My mac iMac: (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019, 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, 630GB free space). Any ideas?

If the full installer is sitting in your Application folder: "Install macOS Monterey.app"

Reboot into Safe Boot mode and launch the installer from there

Oct 25, 2021 12:18 PM in response to Baronleave

Try the following:

#1 - boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3-5 minutes as it's doing the following; 
• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed
• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)
• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically
• Disables user-installed fonts 
• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

#2 - go to the System/Software Update preference pane and begin the download.

#3 - run the installer from the Safe Mode.

I've had better luck from the Safe Mode because I evidently have some 3rd party software that interferes with the installation.

Oct 25, 2021 2:30 PM in response to lllaass

Try the following:

#1 - boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3-5 minutes as it's doing the following; 
• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed
• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)
• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically
• Disables user-installed fonts 
• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

#2 - go to the System/Software Update preference pane and begin the download.

#3 - run the installer from the Safe Mode.

I've had better luck from the Safe Mode because I evidently have some 3rd party software that interferes with the installation.

Hi! I can not install Monterey. I receive followin message message: Installation failed. An error occurred while installing the selected update. My mac iMac: (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019, 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, 630GB free space)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.