Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen flickering issue with full screen videos on safari after updating to Monterey

Hi,

I'm having a screen flickering issue when playing videos full screen on safari. Did anyone else notice the same?

Model: Macbook Air A1932

Processor: Intel Core i5 8210Y

Graphics: Intel UHD 617

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Oct 26, 2021 3:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2022 3:45 PM

Hello Everyone.

Fixed: From "Accessibility->Display->Cursor" I changed the cursor size to large and then back to normal. This might be the stupidest solution I have ever seen, how is it even relevant? Anyways I'm glad it worked, thumbs up!

28 replies

Nov 25, 2021 1:43 PM in response to MichaelB2019

Hello Michael,

I have same issue with my MacBook Pro 16 (2019) with i9 and Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB. It happens with Youtube and Netflix if I run them with full screen. With Netflix I noticed, it flickers when subtitle shows the next text.

I've just tried as suggested to run with safe mode. There were no flickering. So now what?

I don't think it is site specific since there were no flickering with Big Sure, I got that problem since Monterey update. I also noticed, this flickering only occurs on second screen (Samsung C49HG9x) connected with CalDigit TS3 Plus+ and with DisplayPort.

Best regards

Floh

Oct 27, 2021 6:39 AM in response to thedoctor47

Hi thedoctor47,

Thanks for coming to Apple Support Communities for help today with your screen flickering issue.

You mentioned this happening in Safari. Does it happen in every site you visit for videos? For example, does it happen in Netflix and in YouTube?

Does it happen if you play a video thats stored on your Mac?

Does it happen if you use the Apple TV app on your Mac?

Let us know further details.

Have a fantastic day!

Dec 1, 2021 3:19 PM in response to Sammy_Sam

Unfortunately they didn't say anything yet. So I'm not sure if they're reading this thread?

Today I found out, the screen was also flickering when I run Windows (with Parallels) fullscreen on external display. There were no video, just Windows Desktop itself with no program running. So it's not video related.

@Apple: Hello there?

Best regards

Floh

Dec 26, 2021 4:08 AM in response to thedoctor47

I get a black bar that flickers. It is inconsistent. The black bar does not stretch across the screen on my 2017 iMac 27"

its not really all that bad, but it happens in programs and it is random. Sometimes it happens in the same program while using it

and sometimes it doesn't. The black bar flickers so fast that I can't catch all the detail. I am also noticing it on my iPhone 12 the past few days. The black bar flicker is minimal though, but annoying. I can't exactly pin point all the programs it happens in, but I do notice it in adobe photoshop and maybe in Illustrator. I t is hard to pin point, I am also guessing it happens in videos online.

If you need more detail let me know.

OS Monterey Version 12.1

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)

Processor 4.2 Ghz Quad-core Intel Core i7

Memory 8 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

Macintosh HD

Graphics Radeon Pro 580 8GB

Screen flickering issue with full screen videos on safari after updating to Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.