Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to transfer an Apple Music playlist between MacBook Pros?

I recently got a new laptop and want to transfer all my local Apple Music files and playlists from the old one (15" MBP) to the new one (13" 2021 M1). I have moved all the individual music files but can't figure out how to transfer the playlists. If I go and click on the three dots for the playlist, there's no option to share it from there, and I can't figure out where the playlist file is stored locally.

I've also tried sharing the playlist from my iPhone, but there's no share option under the three dots there either.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 26, 2021 7:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2021 10:44 AM

The easiest way would be to follow the steps in the 'macOS 10.15 Catalina and later' section of:

Move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Community

See also How to move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Support for Apple's approach to this topic.

But if you just want to copy and import the playlist, then see:

Save a copy of a playlist in Music on Mac - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 26, 2021 10:44 AM in response to Zoozan

The easiest way would be to follow the steps in the 'macOS 10.15 Catalina and later' section of:

Move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Community

See also How to move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Support for Apple's approach to this topic.

But if you just want to copy and import the playlist, then see:

Save a copy of a playlist in Music on Mac - Apple Support

Oct 27, 2021 6:06 AM in response to javaliga

Hi, Javaliga--

Thanks for your reply; I appreciate it.

I tried the first two options you suggested above, but when I copied the whole Music->Music folder over again I still only got the songs themselves and not the playlists. Then I tried the third thing and just exported/imported the playlist itself, but the imported playlist on the new MBP shows only 86 songs, while the original playlist has 752. Any thoughts on why that might be?

Thanks so much for your time!

How to transfer an Apple Music playlist between MacBook Pros?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.