Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pressing lowercase e brings up emoji window and lowercase d brings up dictation.

Since upgrading to macOS Monterey I have had an issue when pressing lowercase e and d in a game called Habbo. I've reached out to them but said it is not an issue with their game. The game worked 100% prior to upgrading. Uppercase e and d do not have the issue. It is bringing up the macOS windows not the games windows. I have looked in my shortcuts and else where and I do not see anything saying e or d should do this and it is only doing it in this game. Any suggestions on how to disable these features entirely so their windows do not come up?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Oct 26, 2021 9:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 30, 2021 9:49 AM

Hi, I had problems with the E key too. Please try the following and see if it works.

1. Click the Apple logo on the top right hand corner and go to "System Preferences..."
  2. Go to keyboard
  3. Click the Shortcuts tab and go to App Shortcuts
  4. Click the '+' sign and put Habbo as the application
  5. Under Menu Title, input 'Emoji & Symbols'
  6. For Keyboard Shortcut, press Option + Command + E
  7. Click add
  8. Try typing E on Habbo and it should work

Note: Application must be Habbo and not Habbo Launcher.

It worked for me, hope it works for you too! :)

33 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 30, 2021 9:49 AM in response to Praetors_Ghost

Hi, I had problems with the E key too. Please try the following and see if it works.

1. Click the Apple logo on the top right hand corner and go to "System Preferences..."
  2. Go to keyboard
  3. Click the Shortcuts tab and go to App Shortcuts
  4. Click the '+' sign and put Habbo as the application
  5. Under Menu Title, input 'Emoji & Symbols'
  6. For Keyboard Shortcut, press Option + Command + E
  7. Click add
  8. Try typing E on Habbo and it should work

Note: Application must be Habbo and not Habbo Launcher.

It worked for me, hope it works for you too! :)

Dec 1, 2021 5:03 PM in response to zicochaos

Thank you for this - I saw the same instructions earlier. I tried again. I am having the problem when I use Ribbet (photo editing program). When I enter the "option command d" - it is the command to remove the dock on the bottom of the screen and does not solve the recurring issue of small d bringing up dictation. I think I will have to just use the capital D until there is some solution at Apple. This is annoying at minimum and a reason to never upgrade again. I do appreciate that you tried.

Oct 27, 2021 9:28 AM in response to Praetors_Ghost

Hey Praetors_Ghost,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities!

We see from your post that you're having issues with keys bringing up shortcuts on your Mac after upgrading. We can help.

Take a look and see if shortcuts were set up:

Mac keyboard shortcuts - Apple Support

If you're still having issues, try starting in safe mode to test:

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

Cheers!

Dec 11, 2021 7:52 PM in response to raecia

Thank you so much to raecia, your solution worked for me in the application called Ribbet. I was having problems typing in the letter "E". The emoticons were taking over the entire project and I was not able to continue with it. The upgrade to Monterey is not my friend. I am also not able to have my magic mouse scroll. I have to turn it off and on and reconnect every time I come back to the MacBook Air to get it to scroll. I'm still waiting for the engineers at Apple to come up with a fix for that.

Pressing lowercase e brings up emoji window and lowercase d brings up dictation.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.