Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS Monterey Setup crashes

I'm trying to update to Monterey on Mac Pro (trash can looking like version) and download goes ok, setup wizard goes ok and just when wizard says to restart your device for setup to continue, it will say prepping then application crashes. I did install all the previous updates for Big Sur prior to trying upgrading to Monterey. Here is the log, I'm not sure what to do right now:

Mac Pro

Posted on Oct 26, 2021 11:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2021 12:53 PM

Do you have an Apple SSD installed? I ask because I had problem with upgrading late 2013 MP to Monterey.

A while ago I replace the internal Apple SSD with an NVMe drive with adapter in my late 2013 MP. I successfully updated to Big Sur with no problem but could not update to Monterey and received same error you did. Could not even install Monterey on a blank external drive. Then I Googled and it appeared that an Apple internal SSD has to be installed in order to update the firmware and OS boot loader. I installed the original Apple SSD which had Mojave and updated successfully to Monterey. I then booted from my Big Sur NVMe SSD and successfully updated to Monterey. I am typing this from that OS now.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 26, 2021 12:53 PM in response to Dariusz Stochmal

Do you have an Apple SSD installed? I ask because I had problem with upgrading late 2013 MP to Monterey.

A while ago I replace the internal Apple SSD with an NVMe drive with adapter in my late 2013 MP. I successfully updated to Big Sur with no problem but could not update to Monterey and received same error you did. Could not even install Monterey on a blank external drive. Then I Googled and it appeared that an Apple internal SSD has to be installed in order to update the firmware and OS boot loader. I installed the original Apple SSD which had Mojave and updated successfully to Monterey. I then booted from my Big Sur NVMe SSD and successfully updated to Monterey. I am typing this from that OS now.

Oct 26, 2021 2:33 PM in response to lllaass

You might be correct, yes I did upgrade my SSD in Mac Pro a long time ago with a bigger SSD. So now the problem is that I don't think I can locate my original SSD that Mac Pro came with, I think I might have reused it somewhere. If this is the case, Appel should fix this and Mac Pros are supposed to be devices that we can upgrade stuff in them etc. so something like this should not prevent us from upgrading to the latest mac OS.

macOS Monterey Setup crashes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.