Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey upgrade hangs on installation

I just attempted to upgrade my 2017 iMac to Monterey (from Big Sur 11.4) and it got about 85% done and hung up with 52 mintues to go! In reading other posts, I tried to get a clue to the problem by Ctl+L and here's what it said:

Means nothing to me except that it's hung up and tried its best to fix itself but failed. What can I do now to either complete the upgrade or cancel and return to Big Sur?

Thanks.

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 11.4

Posted on Apr 10, 2022 8:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2022 10:31 AM

This can happen when a very large file such as this gets corrupted during the download. I would put the file into the Trash and empty it, then do another clean download. That means using a wired Ethernet connection. Not Wi-Fi as it is too slow and often fails. In my experience a Monterey upgrade download can take up to an hour to download and another 45 minutes, more or less to install with multiple automatic restarts.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 10, 2022 10:31 AM in response to Tahoe4me

This can happen when a very large file such as this gets corrupted during the download. I would put the file into the Trash and empty it, then do another clean download. That means using a wired Ethernet connection. Not Wi-Fi as it is too slow and often fails. In my experience a Monterey upgrade download can take up to an hour to download and another 45 minutes, more or less to install with multiple automatic restarts.

Monterey upgrade hangs on installation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.