Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey upgrade VERY SLOW !!

I have been trying for DAYS to install the OS Monterey on my relatively new iMac 27", 16GB DDR4, 1TB SSD (purchased in May-21) but it says it takes up to 3 days remaining ... and even if I let it run over night, it never completes the download, let alone the installation.

BTW, I have Fibre-Optics Internet access with 300 to 500 Mbps (see below), so it's not a slow connection.

Right now, it says 1 day remaining ... before it was 2 days and 3 days ... though I down-loaded already 6GB before, but today it started to download from scratch again ... see screenshot

I guess I have to skip this upgrade, unless you come up with a better upgrade package !!

Posted on Nov 5, 2021 10:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2021 3:04 AM

On average it takes about 40 mins to download and install Monterey on my Macs. I would try upgrading while in Safe Mode.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

9 replies

Nov 7, 2021 2:39 AM in response to WernerKubesch

Many of us have upgraded to Monterey (my connection is 33Mb/s) and it installed on my M1 iMac in a few hours (not excessive).

• Before pressing the Upgrade button I checked my login items to see if there was anything unnecessary (there wasn’t). If you have apps in the dock set to open on start-up disable them temporarily
  • I don’t have virus checkers or cleanup apps but they should be uninstalled completely before the upgrade. (And not reinstalled)
  • I turned off my second monitor
  • I shut down any running apps especially Mail
  • I turned on my printer and let it go to sleep
  • I double checked that I had lots of space on the install drive
  • I left my USB connected Time Machine running but waited until it had finished its backup
  • I pressed the update button and it downloaded without issue and progressed to the full install
  • After the install I shut down and restarted, all was fine.

Nov 7, 2021 3:33 AM in response to Mal-S

Hi Mal, I just tried to uninstall AVIRA but couldn't ... it wasn't even installed properly (protection id OFF, Setup Avira) ... but when I click, nothing happens ... and when I try to move the App to the Bin, it says "Can't be removed because its open" but in fact it is NOT open !! ... please help me to uninstall AVIRA for good ... THANKS :-)

No matter where I click, AVIRA does not open or respond at all :-(

Nov 7, 2021 5:07 AM in response to WernerKubesch

Antivirus’ load hidden helper apps which can prevent deletion of the application.

Ideally , before the initial uninstall (drag to the bin) you would go into the app settings and turn off loading on startup and after rebooting the Mac you can drag the app to the bin. However as you are past this stage try starting in safe mode (this doesn’t load the hidden helper) and then delete the app.

I checked the Avira web site and deleting is the correct uninstall and they don’t use an uninstall program.

Monterey upgrade VERY SLOW !!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.