Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey still won't install...

Hoping someone here can help me finally get Monterey installed on my two year old iMac retina 5k 27inch (2019) machine. I've tried installing it a few times, and always get the same message after just a minute or so that there has been an error. Won't install. I tried deleting the installer and starting all over again 3 times, but it didn't work. Also, waited for Apple to fix the issue with the installer, hasn't happened.

Any idea what it is? How to fix it? I hate not being up to date on security issues etc...

iMac 27″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Nov 11, 2021 6:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2021 6:34 AM

If rebooting your Mac doesn’t fix things, see if the problem still happens in Safe mode (hold the shift key down at startup). It can take much longer to safe boot (10 min) so be patient.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support 

Safe mode forces the OS to clear certain caches and logs and do other miscellaneous housekeeping. It's non-destructive to user data so is safe to do. Very often certain weird software behavior is corrected by simply logging in this way as a troubleshooting method. When you're in safe boot, the machine will not be at its best performance, especially with graphics, but that's expected.

Try upgrading the computer while you are booted in safe mode.

Does the problem still persist?

Exit safe mode by restarting your Mac normally and re-evaluate the issue again.

If the problem is still unresolved, please return here and post a reply and we’ll see what else we can come up with for help.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 11, 2021 6:34 AM in response to cking2021

If rebooting your Mac doesn’t fix things, see if the problem still happens in Safe mode (hold the shift key down at startup). It can take much longer to safe boot (10 min) so be patient.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support 

Safe mode forces the OS to clear certain caches and logs and do other miscellaneous housekeeping. It's non-destructive to user data so is safe to do. Very often certain weird software behavior is corrected by simply logging in this way as a troubleshooting method. When you're in safe boot, the machine will not be at its best performance, especially with graphics, but that's expected.

Try upgrading the computer while you are booted in safe mode.

Does the problem still persist?

Exit safe mode by restarting your Mac normally and re-evaluate the issue again.

If the problem is still unresolved, please return here and post a reply and we’ll see what else we can come up with for help.

Nov 11, 2021 9:01 AM in response to cking2021

If restarting in the Safe Mode doesn't work, I have to ask you if you have been using Wi-Fi for the downloads? That could b the problem. Sometimes it works fine, but many times Wi-Fi is simply too slow for these very large files and they get corrupted during the download. Instead, connect to your router with an Ethernet cable for the download. If you have to, then temporarily move the computer. I hope this helps.

Monterey still won't install...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.