Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Display NOT auto locking in Guided Access Mode after update to iOS 15.1 on iPad Air 2

I just updated my daughter's iPad Air 2. (iOS 15.1 on Model MGTY2LL/A) I use this device for a communications program running in Guided Access Mode. The screen no longer turns off while in Guided Access. I have tried different times without success.

Searching though the communities, this has happened in the past and was fixed with a following hot fix.

Anyone else seeing this issue?

iPad, iOS 9

Posted on Oct 26, 2021 12:33 PM

20 replies

Oct 29, 2021 5:52 AM in response to SteveTapp

I have exactly the same problem since iOS15.1. On the two of my iPad Air 2 (which I use in my house as smart home central displays), the auto-lock feature stopped working which previous switch the two iPads to sleep mode to safe battery. Now since iOS 15.1 the auto-lock feature stopped working in guided access independent of the App I am using. So this is even visible in using safari, enabling guided access for it. Then the iPads will never go back into sleep since iOS15.1

Hopefully Apple can fix that issue for the upcoming iOS 15.2

Oct 29, 2021 5:57 AM in response to bailier

As I have the same issues since iOS15.1 I have checked the document you suggested and I have set the auto-lock time in the guided access settings to "Default" for both iPads to allow it to be defined in the Screen Brightness section of the settings. However, the issue still occurs no matter if I change it there to a certain time or to "Default". And also changing the auto-lock times in the brightness section didn't help.

So this is definitely a new issue since iOS 15.1 because with 15.0.2 the two iPads were working fine and before I switched the second iPad to 15.1 the second one didn't have this new issue. But as soon as it was updated to 15.1 it showed up with this new problem. Thus, auto-lock seem to have stopped to work completely when an iPad with iOS 15.1+ is switched to guided access.

Nov 2, 2021 9:54 AM in response to SteveTapp

Exact the same problem with IOS 15.1 on my Ipad (used as Smart Home Wall Mount Central). Tried everything, enabling/disabling, different turn off time etc. When I exit guided access mode the display is turning off (thank god) but within guided access not (tried in Home App & Safari). Its good that I'm not the only one with this problem, just want to perform a full reset but now I better wait for a solution

Nov 9, 2021 3:57 PM in response to SteveTapp

Same problem here. My son uses the Lamp Words For Life AAC app to communicate, and as soon as we updated to 15.1, Guided Access (which is required to keep him from accidentally exiting the app) the iPad (5th gen) stopped responding to the time-out "auto lock" option.

I went through the troubleshooting process with Apple Accessibility Support today and they submitted this issue as a new bug in iPad OS 15.1. Hopefully there will be an incremental update that fixes this.

Nov 24, 2021 3:59 PM in response to corey6486

I have the same problem on 15.1, iPad Air 2 16 GB cellular. I have tried all the methods described here:

iPad Screen Won’t Turn Off Automatically? 9 Fixes to Try (switchingtomac.com)

without success. The only one left for me is to drain the battery completly. I'm hoping to avoid this as it is not good for the battery condition.

When could we ALL expect a fix for this bug, please?

Display NOT auto locking in Guided Access Mode after update to iOS 15.1 on iPad Air 2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.