Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Anyone having issue launching Photoshop Elements 2021?

After installing Monterey, Adobe Photoshop Elements 2021 launches sometimes but mostly I just get the "not responding" and have to force quite. Adobe support of course isn't offering any usable information.

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 12.0

Posted on Oct 26, 2021 12:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2021 11:04 AM

Hey J. Thomas Sykes,

It appears that you're having a problem with Adobe products after upgrading your Mac to macOS Monterey, and we're glad to provide assistance.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support -- Restart your Mac in safe mode and see how your Adobe's products work. Whether or not you still receive the message, restart your Mac normally to exit safe mode. Please be aware: "When you start up in safe mode, your Mac prevents some software, such as startup items, from loading, and it performs a check of your startup disk. Your Mac may take longer to start up because of the check."

New user or group setup - Apple Support -- Also, create a new Administrator account and see how Adobe's apps work.

Let us know the results of both tests when you're able, please.

All the best.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 27, 2021 11:04 AM in response to J. Thomas Sykes

Hey J. Thomas Sykes,

It appears that you're having a problem with Adobe products after upgrading your Mac to macOS Monterey, and we're glad to provide assistance.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support -- Restart your Mac in safe mode and see how your Adobe's products work. Whether or not you still receive the message, restart your Mac normally to exit safe mode. Please be aware: "When you start up in safe mode, your Mac prevents some software, such as startup items, from loading, and it performs a check of your startup disk. Your Mac may take longer to start up because of the check."

New user or group setup - Apple Support -- Also, create a new Administrator account and see how Adobe's apps work.

Let us know the results of both tests when you're able, please.

All the best.

Oct 27, 2021 2:58 PM in response to VikingOSX

After chatting with an Adobe customer service rep online, I was directed to the following system requirements: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/system-requirements.html which I had seen before. But this was posted before the release of Monterey.

I do have the latest version of Elements 202. The thing is, when I launch directly from the app it won't launch. But when I use the Home Screen app. and then launch through Photo Editor, the editor eventually appears (although a few times it stalled and I had to Force Quit the app).

I find that as long as I leave the both the Home Screen and Photo Editor app open and minimized in the dock, I'm assured of being able to use the app and I expect, as you mentioned, that a point release from Adobe is probably required.

Not the first time Adobe has lagged behind. All my other third party apps are working fine in Monterey.

Oct 27, 2021 3:02 PM in response to dialabrain

According to what Adobe has posted: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/system-requirements.html PSE 2022 (and most likely PSE 2021) isn't fully compatible with Monterey.

I have had some success getting the app to eventually launch. I find that as long as I leave the both the Home Screen and Photo Editor app open and minimized in the dock, I'm assured of being able to use the app (which I currently am frequently using). I expect that a point release from Adobe is probably required.

Not the first time Adobe has lagged behind. All my other third party apps are working fine in Monterey.

Nov 9, 2021 6:12 AM in response to J. Thomas Sykes

I too had same issue and spent a long time on chat and phone with Adobe. Got a call back yesterday - much to my surprise the representative said a fix was in the works - for at least PE 2021 and 22. Fix would be sooner than later. My fingers are crossed. This information about 2021 version contradicts an earlier comment I saw on line saying no fix was in the pipeline, but my rep, after a long discussion, was clear on the point. Patience.

Nov 13, 2021 8:16 PM in response to J. Thomas Sykes

I have used a work around for the time being until Adobe comes up with a solution to make Elements 2021 and 2022 compatible with OS Monterey. One, I get Elements 2021 started up after re-starting my 27" iMac 2020, I leave it running (ie. I do not quit the application ) . Seems to work that way.

Although I hope that Adobe will come up with a fix soon.

Nov 19, 2021 8:15 PM in response to J. Thomas Sykes

I just posted the following on another thread concerning PSE 2021 and 2022:

I have been interacting on several threads within the Adobe Community and have two workarounds that generally work but do not solve the problem with PSE 2021 (and presumably also PSE 2022). Note that I am using the 27" Intel iMac from last year.

First option: Restart Monterey and try again. Generally you can get one operation of Editor per restart.

Second option: Use an executable file hidden within the PSE 2021 folder. The path is /Applications/Adobe Photoshop Elements 2021/Adobe Photoshop Elements 2021.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Photoshop Elements 2021. (You get into the Contents folder by right clicking the app found within the PSE 2021 folder.) For me, this works about one out of every three attempts.

A helpful employee of Adobe who happens to follow discussions posted the second option but could not give a timetable for getting this issue properly fixed.

Dec 30, 2021 7:08 AM in response to J. Thomas Sykes

Per the Adobe rep I spoke to

We are sorry to say but there will not be any further updates for PSE 2021 as the new version is already released. As per the perpetual products policy, Older version do not get updates once a new version is released

You may wish to downgrade the computer to Big Sur , upgrade to 2022 or use it on a Windows machine

So no - they don't care about customers who are running Elements 2021

Apple - take notice that Adobe is recommending that Elements 21 users switch from a Mac to a Windows based computer

Dec 30, 2021 12:15 PM in response to SL1174

Thanks for the information. I had had seen that PE 2022 was now working with Monterey and recently tested my PE 2021 on a 2019 iMac. It seems to be working, closing and reopening normally, though a few things are taking longer. I don’t know how long that will last. I am an amateur, and can stand a bit more disruption than those of you you depending on the whims of Adobe in your work life. I’ll look seriously at moving away from Adobe if the system starts crashing again. I now have no trust in Adobe even though I have used its products for many years and don’t want to upgrade and find out some six or months later I have to do it again.

Anyone having issue launching Photoshop Elements 2021?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.