Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I interface my Thunderbolt card to external audio? GarageBand vs ThunderBolt?

I have a 2017 13 inch MacBook Air with a Thunderbolt audio card. Exactly how do Iutilize this audio device to record audio to my computer? Please, any guidance would be truly appreciated. Love GarageBands' simplicity as I have been using Presonus STUDIOLIVE 1 (version 9) and its a good program but the GUI is busy and doesn't make playing AND recording a chore-hence GarageBand. I just can't get the audio in this MAC to talk to my computer DAW. Again, thank you and All Blessings for you and yours!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 26, 2021 12:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2021 1:39 PM

Assuming your interface is recognized by the Mac:

Record to an audio track in GarageBand on Mac - Apple Support

If not, you might need to check with the mfg.

3 replies

Oct 27, 2021 6:36 PM in response to Capt_Kudzu

I'm not sure that I understand your configuration.

See if this helps https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/206849269-What-type-of-Thunderbolt-do-the-Clarett-Interfaces-Use-

If you have a Sam Ash or Guitar Center near you, you might want to talk to them.

My understanding was that the MacBook Air had a mini DisplayPort/Thunderbolt 2 jack built in. I didn't think that you could install extra cards in the MacBook Pro and MacBook Air. Therefore, I'm not sure what you mean by a Thunderbolt audio card on your MacBook Air.

I'm wondering if your reference to a Thunderbolt audio card is referring to an audio interface such as the FocusRite Clarett. (See article above.) I installed a FocusRite Scarlett audio interface (USB interface) to my brother-in-law's MacBook Pro. The only thing that I had to do was install the driver software from FocusRite and GarageBand recognized the box as soon as I connected the Scarlett to the MacBook Pro with a cable.

I'm wondering if you suffer from the same confusion that my brother-in-law had. He thought that loading the software would result in a user application being installed on the Mac or perhaps some extra preference panels appearing under System Preferences. There is a standard API on MacOS for handling audio devices. Installing the driver provides the MacBook with information on how to recognize when the FocusRite box is attached and the software components for connecting the box to the CoreAudio library. He was very confused. When I realized what was happening, I simply plugged in the Scarlett box and started GarageBand. When I looked for audio inputs and outputs, all the jacks on the FocusRite Scarlett appeared. I assume that the same would apply to other brands of audio interfaces.

If you don't have the driver software, don't worry. You can download it from the vendor web site. That is actually preferable since it insures that you have the latest version.

How do I interface my Thunderbolt card to external audio? GarageBand vs ThunderBolt?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.