Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 15.1 broke connectivity to my car stereo

I own a 2014 Chevy Cruze. It has the factory default stereo in it.

The radio looks like this:

Prior to the iOS 15.1 update, when I plugged my iPhone Xr in to the car, the stereo would detect the iPhone, switch to it and I could play anything on the phone using a Lightning cable plugged into the car's USB port.

I took my wife's iPhone 12, which has iOS 14.8.1 on it, and it worked fine. I upgraded to 15.1 and again it stopped working.

I plug either phone in, they start to charge, but the stereo no longer detects the phone.

The obvious workaround is to just plug the aux cable into the headphone jack on the... Oh wait...

This is obviously a bug in iOS 15.1. I called Apple and reported it. I'm trying to send logs to Apple now.

The following are NOT correct answers:

1. Get a new car
  2. Get a new car stereo

If you're going to say either of those in your comments, don't bother commenting.

If you've seen this in your car and have figured out how to fix it, please feel free to share.

If not, this is just a heads up that you may experience this issue if you have an older stereo in your car

I know I can use the Lightning to 3.5 mm adapter, and that is my current workaround. But I can't do that and charge the phone at the same time, which is going to be a problem for long trips with GPS.

iPhone XR

Posted on Oct 26, 2021 7:43 PM

514 replies

Oct 27, 2021 11:20 AM in response to amp68

I have the exact same issue -- iPhone 12 mini, after upgrading from 14.8 to 15.1. This seems to affect the older USB iPod play/control interface as a whole. My 2013 Chevy Cruze (pre-CarPlay, identical interface to yours) is affected, as is a small personal audio box/speaker that has a lightning interface and buttons for play/pause, previous/next track, etc. An identical iPhone 12 mini still on 14.8 works fine in both, but my 15.1 iPhone 12 mini seems to now be wholly incompatible.

I agree this is obviously a bug in 15.1 (and possibly earlier 15.0/15.0.x releases -- I skipped over all those personally)

Nov 11, 2021 9:14 PM in response to RoYourBoat

Have any of you having this issue tried shutting off Bluetooth via Control Center to see if that makes any difference?

Just something to try out of curiosity:

Use Bluetooth and Wi-Fi in Control Center - Apple Support

For what it’s worth, the vehicles named in this thread, notably the Cruze, seem to have experienced this issue on and off several times going back to the iPhone 4 as well as with iPod Nanos.

Nov 16, 2021 5:36 PM in response to jbean713

jbean713 wrote:

Hey Apple “Big Brothers”, take all these notes and forward them up the chain of command and get stuff fixed!

No one here or at Apple can do that, only you can and you, as an end user, have more clout than they do:

Feedback - iPhone - Apple

Also, only you can give them information to help them narrow it down; I can't find a car or device my phone won't work with, so that's why they need to know.

Nov 18, 2021 12:59 AM in response to Chaoticallykailee

No one’s trying to belittle or bully anyone.

I have a 2011 Toyota and a 13 Pro Max running iOS 15.1 that works perfectly with USB audio, so your list of vehicles is in no way all-inclusive.

I’ve also tested on a friend’s Mercedes and another Toyota, also with no issues, nor are there any with home stereo equipment from Denon or a 24 channel mixing board made by Mackie.

You list a wide variety of auto manufacturers, but this issue is not even universal among all of their models and head end units.

Remember also that this is not a place to “vent” - social media and other websites are for that. This forum is for people to ask technical questions which are then answered by other Apple users.

The correct approach is one I have advised in multiple responses; if you are seeing this issue, contact Apple Support directly:

Contact - Official Apple Support

Nov 27, 2021 8:30 PM in response to Cizzlebar1

There are not “always problems”” with each update.

If functionality is removed, it is usually inadvertent; as has been mentioned many users are not experiencing this, so it’s clearly some type of interaction with particular head ends that Apple is sorting out.

That having been said, you are correct, if you have this issue, be sure to let Apple Support know directly:

Contact - Official Apple Support

Nov 8, 2021 11:56 AM in response to amp68

I have a 2012 Cadillac SRX base model. I have experienced similar to what you have experienced. On October 27th, 2021 I updated my iPhone 13 pro Max to iOS 15.1 - previously it was on iOS 15.0.2 and I was able to connect via apple lighting cable to my car and play music. I know this is a bug with iOS 15.1 because my wife has the same iPhone 13 pro max and her phone is still on iOS 15.0.2 and still able to play music through the car. My parents have iPhone 12 Pro’s and their phones are on iOS 15.0.2 which also connect to the car via the lightning cable. The issue is iOS 15.1 which I hope is resolved. I have attached the message that shows now when I connect my iPhone 13 pro max to the 2012 Cadillac SRX. quite frankly, there are alternatives to connecting to my car which are either Bluetooth, or aux to lightning. However, their is a loss in Audio quality when doing so. Please Apple, just fix the iOS and roll out an update for us all. Not sure if this is specific to all GM cars or other makes.

Nov 8, 2021 5:57 PM in response to amp68

Hello, another sufferer here.

I’m in AUS - vehicle is known as a Holden Cruze (mine is 2011). Have logged an issue with engineer support about this issue as customer service/senior advisor could not assist with trouble shooting. I dare say it’s an issue with the new iOS recognising an old audio setup - although my phone will charge just fine. Hope Apple sorts this out - I’m not going to fluff around downgrading when this could be an easy fix if enough people raise the issue!!

Nov 15, 2021 3:36 AM in response to amp68

Hi , I’ve exactly the same issue since updating to IOS 15.1 , other peoples iPhones work fine through my Aux but they are still on IOS 14, it seems to be on settings the ‘show all purchases’ toggle has disappeared and you need that to make the connection to aux, other people’s iPhones not updated have that toggle option and people who have updated it’s disappeared, below is what should show. I’ve been to Apple shop and they said must be Aux cable !!! It’s definitely a software issue with the update am fuming

iOS 15.1 broke connectivity to my car stereo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.