Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External SSD drive for new MacBook Pro?

I just ordered the new MBP 16 inch Max with 64 RAM and 1 TB HD. In retrospect I should have spent $400 more for a 2 TB drive. Too late now. So…any recommendations for an external SSD drive for FCP projects?

Cheers.

Tom

Posted on Oct 26, 2021 8:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2021 10:42 PM

You have to use the right cables to get the best performance. Samsung X5 with the Thunderbolt 3 cable is the fastest SSD I have. There may be newer drive coming out for the TB4 protocol but I haven’t seen any. For regular USB-C, which is plenty fast for most things, the Samsung T5 and T7s are very good. For size I love the SanDisks, though I wish they came in colors so you could tell the sizes apart. 2 TB in your pocket, half the size of a phone, is amazing. There are probably a lot of others, but that’s what’s been working for me.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 26, 2021 10:42 PM in response to Thomas Whaley

You have to use the right cables to get the best performance. Samsung X5 with the Thunderbolt 3 cable is the fastest SSD I have. There may be newer drive coming out for the TB4 protocol but I haven’t seen any. For regular USB-C, which is plenty fast for most things, the Samsung T5 and T7s are very good. For size I love the SanDisks, though I wish they came in colors so you could tell the sizes apart. 2 TB in your pocket, half the size of a phone, is amazing. There are probably a lot of others, but that’s what’s been working for me.

External SSD drive for new MacBook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.