Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recommended Bootable SSD for 2017 i-Mac, 4k

I'm looking into upgrading my 2017 21.5" i-Mac to a bootable external SSD drive. I really like the article that Jack-19 wrote but was wondering if there are now other Thunderbolt, 1TB external SSD drives that would be equivalent to the recommended LaCie 1 TB Model ($399) that was recommended (i.e. Sandisk, Western Digital SSD's).

If the LaCie is the best way to go, why? Any technical reasons other than Thunderbolt?

My mac will be 5 years old, getting slower, does it make sense cost wise to spend $400 now or just wait, suffer for 5 more years of lifespan? Or I could get a new i-Mac now about $1200??

Has anyone used these as bootable external SSD drives?

Thanks,

Bill S.

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 12.2

Posted on Oct 1, 2022 8:08 AM

14 replies

Oct 2, 2022 10:28 AM in response to Jack-19

Jack,

Thank you! Yes the LaCie USB 1TB Mobile SSD looks like the way to go.

I have read your article on upgrading to an external SSD and it has been very informative for me!

Since my 2017 i-Mac is Very, very slow with too much old S/W on it (ETRE Report attached) I think I need to do a clean install. I presume the options to do that are clearly presented when I install the latest Monterey S/W on the SSD. Then I would migrate manually only the apps and, data I now need.

Here are a few concerns, questions I have:

1. Should I upgrade to the latest Monterey OS now before upgrading to the external bootable SSD? I'm not sure although I've heard that some SSD's have problems loading Monterey. I have plenty of storage (500gb) so I'm not too concerned about running out of space. Going to the latest Monterey before would mean my HDD disk would be updated before going to the SSD which would be good for backup ops.
  2. Before your post I was seriously looking at the T7 Samsung 1 TB SSD but see some have had problems loading Monterey with it. It has a price advantage vs LaCie ($109 vs $150) but quality is important to me. I understand you have an excellent experience using LaCie SSD's.
  3. Of course I have Time Machine backup's. Will they be compatible if I go to the latest Monterey?

Thanks Again,

Bill

Oct 4, 2022 8:45 PM in response to Bsaw67

Hi Bill,

I'm not sure what happens to the e-mail "Saved on my i-Mac" with a clean install. Do I obtain those e-mails by migrating my Mail app with Migration Assistant after the clean install?

I would temporarily move those to a mailbox that syncs with your online mail provider, such as the "Inbox" or one you've created. That way, they upload to your mail provider, and once you sign back in to Mail on your clean-install, will redownload.

Jack

Oct 2, 2022 12:50 PM in response to Bsaw67

Hi Bill,

Since my 2017 i-Mac is Very, very slow with too much old S/W on it (ETRE Report attached) I think I need to do a clean install. I presume the options to do that are clearly presented when I install the latest Monterey S/W on the SSD. Then I would migrate manually only the apps and, data I now need.

If you're looking at a clean-install, follow the steps in the SSD User Tip for "Erasing the external SSD and Installing macOS", but stop at "Moving your content to the external SSD". From there, continue to setup your Mac as new, without migrating any information from a backup, as doing at this step will restore all the old apps and software issues.

Next, after your Mac is setup, Restore items backed up with Time Machine on Mac - Apple Support to the right locations. Additionally, you can then re-install the important apps you use from their original sources (such as the developer's website).

Should I upgrade to the latest Monterey OS now before upgrading to the external bootable SSD? I'm not sure although I've heard that some SSD's have problems loading Monterey. I have plenty of storage (500gb) so I'm not too concerned about running out of space. Going to the latest Monterey before would mean my HDD disk would be updated before going to the SSD which would be good for backup ops.

Yes, I would. Go to System Preferences > Software Update to perform the update.

Using the macOS Monterey installer later to install macOS to the external SSD will install the latest version to it.

Before your post I was seriously looking at the T7 Samsung 1 TB SSD but see some have had problems loading Monterey with it. It has a price advantage vs LaCie ($109 vs $150) but quality is important to me. I understand you have an excellent experience using LaCie SSD's.

Yes, Samsung SSDs do have attractive prices. However, like you suggested, there's been a history of issues with Samsung external SSDs being used as startup disks for Mac computers. LaCie does cost more, but the quality seems to be there, plus Apple sells it.

Another manufacturer I've had good luck with is Other World Computing (OWC). I've purchased Memory/RAM from them before. They have a new Envoy Pro Elektron SSD that may be another to consider. I haven't tried the Elektron SSD personally, however I am in need of a new external SSD, and I'm tempted to try the new OWC solution.

I currently have a LaCie Rugged 2TB SSD and I don't have any issues.

Of course I have Time Machine backup's. Will they be compatible if I go to the latest Monterey?

Yes.

If you have any more questions, please ask!

Cheers,

Jack

Oct 2, 2022 3:31 PM in response to Bsaw67

I have an alternative option if price is a consideration. I have 3 bootable OWC SSDs connected via USB 3 and USB C ➙ SATA adaptors that I use with my 2017 iMac:

It's not as aesthetically attractive as an SSD in its own case but is more economical and can be swapped out quite easily if you get additional bare SSDs.

I also have 4 SSDs in OWC SATA docks.

Just some additional food for thought.

Oct 1, 2022 10:26 AM in response to Bsaw67

this is just an opinion. and you know what they say about those... :)

I personally have two separate external Samsung T7 SSDs. each runs its own independent macOS. they run at ~750 Mb/s Write and ~850 Mb/s Read when connected with the included USB-C cable. that is close to twice the T5 model's speed. I feel they give excellent performance at a great price point.

Oct 1, 2022 11:10 AM in response to Bsaw67

Another option could be what I did to my wife's late 2015 iMac. I obtained a 1 TB internal SSD (Samsung) and had an Apple Authorized Service Provider replace the internal drive (an old very slow HDD) with the new internal SSD. This now runs Monterey and seems to be very fast performance wise, despite having just 8 GB memory.

The cost for all this was about $200. One has to pay for the labor for the internal drive replacement but the internal SSD is notably less expensive than the external SSD.

One advantage of the internal drive approach is that people do report some difficulties in updating the MacOS on external boot drives. Also less clutter around the computer. An advantage of the external drive method is that you can simply do this yourself without having anyone touch the iMac. Cost-wise the internal drive might be a bit cheaper (even including the labor) but probably a wash there. Speed wise, if you get a good external or internal SSD, either method will be very fast (as Jeffrey indicated).

Oct 4, 2022 11:18 AM in response to Jack-19

Jack,

Thanks for the advise.

I'm not sure what happens to the e-mail "Saved on my i-Mac" with a clean install. Do I obtain those e-mails by migrating my Mail app with Migration Assistant after the clean install?

I was able to upgrade to Monterey 12.6 last night with no problems. Will finalize disk selection next week, check prices during Prime day.

The La Cie's 1 TB, SSD's I have found at Best Buy, Amazon are a slightly different model (USB 3.2/Gen 3.2) than the one in the Apple Store and a bit cheaper ($139 vs $219). I gather from the user reviews they will work just as well. The Envo Pro Elektro looks attractive too.

Will keep you updated on progress,

Thanks Again,

Bill

Oct 6, 2022 7:13 AM in response to Jack-19

Thanks Jack!

Yes that is the solution in case those e-mails are not installed when I do a clean install. I checked that approach out by dragging a few "On My Mac" e-mail folders to a folder I set up for "Mobile access" within my i-Cloud Mac Mail. It worked fine. After I do the clean install I can move them back to the "On My Mac" folder within the Mail app.

FYI I looked around my Time Machine files and could not find any location where those e-mails might be backed up, no "Mail" app found in any folder's. I wonder how/where they are really stored?????

Thanks ----> Bill

P.S. Next step next week: Purchase LaCie SSD (1TB External USB-C, USB 3.2 Gen 2 Portable SSD with Rescue Data Recovery Services) and install as bootable SSD. I do need to review its specs/reviews with the one in your article just to make sure it will do the job. I aslo need a new TM second BU, would another LaCie be overkill. I have been using WD HDD My Passport 1TB drives for 5 years with no problems. One is about to run out of space.

Oct 13, 2022 8:01 AM in response to Jack-19

I received the LaCie USB 1TB Mobile SSD in the mail yesterday. I had hoped the USB 3.2/gen 2 USB cable provided would connect to my mid 2017 i-Mac but it is not compatible to either the Thunderebolt port or the USB ports. I see Best Buy has a Belkin - 3' USB 3.1 Type A-to-USB Type C Cable, 3 feet long. Would that be suffiecient for connecting to my USB ports.????

Oct 16, 2022 9:38 AM in response to Bsaw67

Hi Jack, Everyone,

SUCCESS !!! I was able to install Monterey 12.6 on the bootable external hard drive (La Cie 1TB, Mobile) ok as a clean install. I logged in with my Apple ID, PW and saw all the Apple Apps in Montrey came up ok with past data (Mail, Calendar, Contacts Messages, etc)

Jack- Your recommendation to on how to move "On My Mac files" worked great as they were present in the Mail app in my "Mail Mobile files". There were no files as we anticipated from the original "on My Mac" files so that was a great decision..

I did the clean istall by stopping after Monterey was installed and did not proceed with the "Migration Assistant". There was no way to back out so I called Apple and they had me shut down the computer and restart with Option key held down so I could restart on the External drive. From that point on I have been mainly dragging and dropping files from TM external disks to the new Monterey install on the new External drive.

I have not setup TM on the new external drive yet, will wait until everything is moved over. I did try to set it up but it could not let me do it. Maybe because it was still set up on he internal disk.... need to deactivate the 2 external drives running.

Anyway thanks to Everyone for helping me. It is an extended process and takes some time to get things set up again.

Bill S.

Recommended Bootable SSD for 2017 i-Mac, 4k

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.