Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

From Google Photos to Apple Photos

Hey Experts!

I've been using my very first iPhone for about a year now. (Loving it so far!!) I need to move my photos from Google Photos to Apple photos. But I want to know if Apple photos has the same functionality that google photos has:

1. Backup to cloud and delete local copy to save space.
  2. Smart Albums that automatically adds photos to albums through face recognition. (Is it as good as googles?)

Free Storage volume is irrelevant as I have a paid Google drive subscription.

Thanks in advance!

iPhone 12 Pro Max

Posted on Oct 26, 2021 8:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2021 10:31 PM

There are three major advantages of having iCloud Storage

1. iCloud syncs your iPhone data and keeps backup safely for future use if your iPhone is damaged or lost. The data is safe on iCloud
  2. You can save space on your iPhone by keeping low-resolution photos on your iPhone and keeping the originals on iCloud. Whenever you open a photo on your iPhone it will fetch the original photo from iCloud and display it to you, provided you have internet. --> Manage your photo and video storage - Apple Support
  3. You get more space on iCloud Drive and keep any file on it safely, Also you can view and delete them from any device.

iCloud Drive is part of iCloud Storage. What you store in iCloud Drive counts against your storage limit.

See the pic below. These are things which you can view. There are many things that you can't view such as messages, backup, message attachments etc..

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 26, 2021 10:31 PM in response to RoachMartel

There are three major advantages of having iCloud Storage

1. iCloud syncs your iPhone data and keeps backup safely for future use if your iPhone is damaged or lost. The data is safe on iCloud
  2. You can save space on your iPhone by keeping low-resolution photos on your iPhone and keeping the originals on iCloud. Whenever you open a photo on your iPhone it will fetch the original photo from iCloud and display it to you, provided you have internet. --> Manage your photo and video storage - Apple Support
  3. You get more space on iCloud Drive and keep any file on it safely, Also you can view and delete them from any device.

iCloud Drive is part of iCloud Storage. What you store in iCloud Drive counts against your storage limit.

See the pic below. These are things which you can view. There are many things that you can't view such as messages, backup, message attachments etc..

Oct 26, 2021 10:29 PM in response to RoachMartel

RoachMartel wrote:

2. Smart Albums that automatically adds photos to albums through face recognition. (Is it as good as googles?)

Not clear what you mean by this --> Add Photos to Albums through Face Recognition?

On my iPhone, the Photos are synced Automatically to iCloud Photos and uploaded to Google Photos automatically. Facial recognition for what to open Google Photos?

I have subscribed to both Apple One and Google One and I am still not clear what functionality that you are referring to?

Oct 26, 2021 10:36 PM in response to SravanKrA

What I'm referring to is that in Google photos, there is a function that allows to Select People to add to the album. Once setup, any existing pictures of the selected people will get added to the album automatically and whenever a new picture is taken of someone in the list, that photo is also automatically added to the album.

It's a very nifty feature and I have come to rely on it heavily. Does Apple Photos have this functionality as well?

From Google Photos to Apple Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.