Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2008 Macbook Pro won't boot up

My daughter's 2008 Macbook won't boot. It gets to the apple logo and progress bar, and if I wait a VERY long time, the progress bar will go all the way across - but it never gets past this point. I let it sit for an hour.

I've tried booting while holding the shift key. No change.

I've tried booting while holding Cmd + V. No change

I've tried booting while holding Cmd + R. No change

I tried Cmd + Option + P + R. No change

I can't find out the serial number because there's no sticker and since it can't boot, I can't look in the software.

Any idea what's going on with it?

Posted on Oct 26, 2021 9:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2021 9:06 PM

shodoshan Said:

"2008 Macbook Pro won't boot up"

-------

Q1. "I can't find out the serial number because there's no sticker and since it can't boot, I can't look in the software."

A1. Look on the bottom of the Mac. If it is not located there, then log in at this link: See Information About Devices Signed in with your Apple ID on iCloud.com - Apple Support. If it is associated to her account, it should pop right up.

Q2. "2008 Macbook Pro won't boot up: My daughter's 2008 Macbook won't boot. It gets to the apple logo and progress bar, and if I wait a VERY long time, the progress bar will go all the way across - but it never gets past this point. I let it sit for an hour."

A2. Troubleshooting MacBook Pro Power:

A. Black Mac Screen:

Go Here: If your Mac doesn't Turn On or Start Up - Apple Support

Using External Devices: Try Resetting the SMC and NVRAM, but this time, using an external keyboard. Connect an external monitor and see if you get an output.

B. Mac Power Issues:

Try a New Charger:

If it is currently charging from a charger, then use a new charger:

A Few Links to Refer to Power:

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 26, 2021 9:06 PM in response to shodoshan

shodoshan Said:

"2008 Macbook Pro won't boot up"

-------

Q1. "I can't find out the serial number because there's no sticker and since it can't boot, I can't look in the software."

A1. Look on the bottom of the Mac. If it is not located there, then log in at this link: See Information About Devices Signed in with your Apple ID on iCloud.com - Apple Support. If it is associated to her account, it should pop right up.

Q2. "2008 Macbook Pro won't boot up: My daughter's 2008 Macbook won't boot. It gets to the apple logo and progress bar, and if I wait a VERY long time, the progress bar will go all the way across - but it never gets past this point. I let it sit for an hour."

A2. Troubleshooting MacBook Pro Power:

A. Black Mac Screen:

Go Here: If your Mac doesn't Turn On or Start Up - Apple Support

Using External Devices: Try Resetting the SMC and NVRAM, but this time, using an external keyboard. Connect an external monitor and see if you get an output.

B. Mac Power Issues:

Try a New Charger:

If it is currently charging from a charger, then use a new charger:

A Few Links to Refer to Power:

Oct 27, 2021 7:19 PM in response to shodoshan

Try running the Apple Hardware Test which should be included on the 2nd DVD which shipped with the laptop from the factory. If you don't have the original DVDs, then you can check to see if you can find & download the AHT for your laptop from here:

https://github.com/upekkha/AppleHardwareTest

I suspect you have a bad hard drive. If the diagnostics do not report any hardware issues or you are unable to run the diagnostics, then I can provide instructions for creating and using a bootable Linux USB stick to check the health of the hard drive to confirm my suspicions. Unfortunately the Apple diagnostics don't detect many drive failures. Let me know if you are interested in this option.

2008 Macbook Pro won't boot up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.