Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WindowServer Crash - External Monitor - After Monterey install

Hi everyone,

I am having an issue just as I updated to macOS Monterey - basically I cannot connect my external monitor as it crashes continuosly - the second I connect it, it "reboots" and brings me back to login screen - its window server process that crashes -

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Posted on Oct 26, 2021 10:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2021 12:18 AM

What is the mac model? (The simplest is About This Mac, available by choosing About This Mac from the Apple menu  in the upper-left corner of your screen.)

1. Test in safe mode (How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support, takes longer to boot)
  2. Apple Diagnostics Test: Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support.
  3. If your Mac restarted because of a problem - Apple Support

Hope it helps.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 27, 2021 12:18 AM in response to alopez1986

What is the mac model? (The simplest is About This Mac, available by choosing About This Mac from the Apple menu  in the upper-left corner of your screen.)

1. Test in safe mode (How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support, takes longer to boot)
  2. Apple Diagnostics Test: Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support.
  3. If your Mac restarted because of a problem - Apple Support

Hope it helps.

WindowServer Crash - External Monitor - After Monterey install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.