Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS Monterey and Google Drive

I updated both my Mac mini (M1chip) and MacBook Pro (2016) to the macOS Monterey yesterday. I am also using Google Drive on both devices (with streaming option). The weird thing is that Google Drive works normally on MacBook Pro. But on MacMini, Google Drive works too but with an issue. It is supposed to show up on Desktop as "connected server", but it does not. MacBook Pro does not have this problem.

I checked the "show connected server on desktop" option in Finder Preference. I also tried other servers (not google drive) and they show up on Desktop as they are supposed to, on the MacMini.

It is a minor issue. Google Drive still works on both devices. But I could not figure out why I have this problem with MacMini. Does someone know how to fix it? Thank you!

Posted on Oct 27, 2021 7:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2021 6:24 AM

Here is how I did it on Monterey OS

I took chinazurfluh advice in here to make a local connection "Under Finder, select "Connect to Server" - enter this: smb://localhost:51000"

Then thanks to "JONATHANS BLOG"

in my terminal I typed : mdutil /Volumes/Google\ Drive -i on, when I hit return ,this message popped"/System/Volumes/Data/Volumes/Google Drive:

Indexing enabled. "

and the indexing started. It might take several hours depending on the folder capacity.

Now I can search inside GD inside Finder window .

Similar questions

33 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 30, 2021 6:24 AM in response to lksafari

Here is how I did it on Monterey OS

I took chinazurfluh advice in here to make a local connection "Under Finder, select "Connect to Server" - enter this: smb://localhost:51000"

Then thanks to "JONATHANS BLOG"

in my terminal I typed : mdutil /Volumes/Google\ Drive -i on, when I hit return ,this message popped"/System/Volumes/Data/Volumes/Google Drive:

Indexing enabled. "

and the indexing started. It might take several hours depending on the folder capacity.

Now I can search inside GD inside Finder window .

Nov 27, 2021 9:35 AM in response to lksafari

This is now clearly a Google Drive issue. Something is amiss in the network connection interface. Seems there is a problem with smb connections to localhost. Google Drive works by creating a SMB server on your machine and then it creates a connection back to it on localhost to create the desktop icons. However, if you are running two accounts, you may only be able to get one connected due to dynamic port mapping. I tried this: Under Finder, select "Connect to Server" - enter this: smb://localhost:51000 - You'll now see it on your desktop. But, if you have multiple accounts, you'll only be able to get the last account this way. You can dismount this volume on the desktop, but you'll see the volume still listed in Finder - Go - Go to folder - /Volumes. Don't dismount these as it will shut down Google Drive. This clearly seems like shoddy work by Google to sort out the mounting of the volumes to the connected servers list for inclusion on the desktop.

Nov 17, 2021 9:23 AM in response to AJSingerStudios

I think it might be a font-related issue.

I did find sort of an alias inside my user folder. I moved that to desktop as a workaround.

what's interesting is I turned on my font manager (typeface) and all of a sudden the drive showed up.

however... it's showing two of the same. and now my font folder locations are out of sync.

here are screen shots of font manager off/on

Nov 16, 2021 2:17 AM in response to lksafari

The solutions above do not solve this problem. Preferences and General tab do not fix it. Only recently upgraded to Monterey, and consistent on two computers - Mac Pro and MacBook Pro. This seems a Google Drive or permission issue. You can find Google Drive only in /Volumes (in Finder: Go - Go to folder...). Can place it in the dock or on the sidebar, but nothing makes it appear on the Desktop. So, either a Finder glitch or a Google Drive authentication issue. Something more than standard preference dialogues is needed here to fix it.

Dec 2, 2021 4:38 PM in response to AJSingerStudios

AJ, I did that, but a very weird issue exists. I had Google drive on my older computer and when I got the New MacBook Pro M1 I now have that old Google Drive shown on my Hard Drive under Users but the Google Drive in Finder Sidebar is not that folder. The to Google folders do not seem to sync .... only the Google Drive that appeared in the Finder Sidebar syncs to the google drive online. I can not find anywhere on Finder a drive that matches that Finder Sidebar Google Drive. Are those Google Drive files actually on my hard drive?

Dec 10, 2021 2:23 AM in response to lksafari

More Google Drive weirdness - I'm logged in as administrator and previously have added Google Drive to Login Items within Users and Groups to my account having clicked the padlock and given my password etc.

However, at some point, Google Drive will simply disappear from that panel for no apparent reason. This happens consistently after a start-up and sometimes when coming back from sleep... It's like it crashed silently, but I simply cant understand why it also disappears from the Login items list too.

Dec 14, 2021 4:37 AM in response to lksafari

Recently on M1 Chip MacBook Pro Monterey (V1+V2 updates - awaiting a debug hopefully in V3), the Google Drive app runs as a virtual drive format, so it appears it will continue to unmount (and run as an ejectable drive format) no matter what you try. Even mounting the drive CMD + K on Finder then your smb://localhost/Google Drive/ + location etc, it doesn't read the IP nor mount.

I have even got onto Google tech support to find a solution, debug and I even made bug logs for Google engineers to personally go through. They literally said word for word ...

"We've finished discussing this issue with engineering and they've confirmed that it's the device that's unmounting the drive and not Drive for Desktop. It seems that this issue is not unique with Drive for Desktop but happens with other apps that creates it's own drive as well. If the recent unmounting happened after the device was put to sleep, it would also be the same scenario and we have no way of fixing this"

Funny how they blame the iOS, yet I use DropBox & OneDrive cloud drive solutions alongside Google, yet no unmounting occurs and none of what they explain above happens.

Looks like whoever is running Google cloud storage drives, its best to SOD them off and go to another solution that works.

If anyone has found a fix for this, I'd love to know more about it (plus to send it over to the ever so useless team at Google).

Thanks,

Dec 22, 2021 1:37 PM in response to lksafari

Hi all,

Been having the same (or not so dissimilar) issues, and I've been on Google's case for a while.

Direct from Google Tech Support...

"On the other hand, our engineers have replied to the bug report that we have made for your issue.

The issue has been identified and the fix will be added in version 55 which will be available soon".

They have told me there is no exact date for the patch, but I have pestered them non-stop for a few weeks to resolve this (your welcome haha) and finally. After many, many tests, diagnostic data etc a fix has at least been applied.

Fingers crossed for everyone facing this issue its soon!

Lets all just hope

Dec 27, 2021 3:39 PM in response to simoncav

I tried that with the same result. Google Drive shows in finder but does not mount. If I double-click the app it will mount, but it unmounts when I log off. Also, while mounted it does not show in locations or on my desktop, for me a minor issue. I thought putting it in login items was the work-around and it does work -- once. Then it gets removed from login items. I'm running v54. It is supposed to be fixed in v55. We'll see.

MacOS Monterey and Google Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.