Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Loaded macOS Monterey and even though wifi is working can not connect to internet

Loaded macOS Monterey and even though wifi is working can not connect to internet. Is there an update to correct this problem? Computer is mac-mini M1

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Oct 27, 2021 7:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2021 4:10 PM

Boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 27, 2021 4:10 PM in response to stewartfrommanalapan

Boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Oct 28, 2021 9:17 AM in response to Old Toad

Thanks guys. Problem is solved.

Started up the Mac in safe mode and had no problem connecting to wifi.

Removed all the login items and restarted in normal mode and could not connect to wifi again.

Thought about what else could possible occur at login which led me to the VPN. The VPN indicator was not showing at the top of the screen as it did in all previous OSs. Decided to launch the VPN and then shut it off. That solved the problem. The KILL Switch was keeping me out of wifi even though I didn't know the VPN was on.

Thanks again for your great hints.

Oct 27, 2021 9:40 AM in response to PRP_53

Thanks for your response.

Nothing seems to be unusual for DNS. I am using the same settings I used in Big Sur. (1.1.1.2),(1.0.0.2) also tried others.

Hard wired Ethernet connection works fine.

Using ORBI router.

After loading Monterey the first time wifi connects to internet it works. But cannot connect after the very first time.

Seems like a systems software bug to me.

Oct 27, 2021 3:12 PM in response to PRP_53

Thanks again.

It's helps to know that someone with the MM M1 got it to work with wifi.

Since it does work with my Orbi router when it is using wired ethernet, but not when using wifi it leads me to the conclusion that there is a conflict with the software interface between router and MM M1. The surprising problem is that I can connect wirelessly to all the components of my home network (computers and their connected disk drives, etc.) using the router but I can not get to the internet. I have another MM Intel i7 2018 running BigSur on the same network with out any wifi problem. I am afraid to upgrade the OS to Monterey until the solution to this problem is found.

Oct 28, 2021 10:20 AM in response to stewartfrommanalapan

Not sure why you're using a VPN but here's some food for thought: unless you're using a true VPN tunnel, such as between you and your employer's or bank's servers, they are useless from a privacy standpoint.  Read these two articles: Public VPN's are anything but private and Former Malware Distributor Kape Technologies Now Owns ExpressVPN, CyberGhost, Private Internet Access, Zenmate, and a Collection of VPN “Review” Websites

That being said one of the most respected contributors to these forums and a respected developer has said good things about NordVPN.  So it may be more secure than most of the other public VPNs.

Loaded macOS Monterey and even though wifi is working can not connect to internet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.