Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro 16" 2019 resolution in "p" such as 720p, 1080p, etc.

Hi there--I have a 2019/2020 16" Macbook Pro. Trying to find out what the resolution is so I can get a compatible external monitor. Based on the specs (copied below) can anyone tell me what the resolution is in "p"? Is it as simple as 1920p?

Display

• Retina display
  • 16‑inch (diagonal) LED‑backlit display with IPS technology; 3072‑by‑1920 native resolution at 226 pixels per inch with support for millions of colors
  • Supported scaled resolutions: 
    • 2048 x 1280
    • 1792 x 1120
    • 1344 x 840
    • 1152 x 720
  • 500 nits brightness
  • Wide color (P3)
  • True Tone technology
  • Refresh rates: 47.95Hz, 48.00Hz, 50.00Hz, 59.94Hz, 60.00Hz

Video Support

Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display at millions of colors and:

• Up to two displays with 6016‑by‑3384 resolution at 60Hz at over a billion colors
  • Up to four displays with 4096‑by‑2304 resolution at 60Hz at over a billion colors

Thunderbolt 3 digital video output

• Native DisplayPort output over USB‑C
  • VGA, HDMI, DVI, and Thunderbolt 2 output supported using adapters (sold separately)

Posted on Oct 27, 2021 7:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2021 7:44 AM

<< Trying to find out what the resolution is so I can get a compatible external monitor. >>

That computer will support ANY major brand display on the market today.

Anything LESS THAN the maximum stated, '6016‑by‑3384 resolution at 60Hz at over a billion colors' will work just fine. 4K and larger display should use DisplayPort family or USB-C or ThunderBolt to make the connection, because HDMI (invented for consumer HD TV sets) runs out of bandwidth and is troublesome at higher resolutions.

--------

The p in 1080p says Progressive scan, where the scan lines are sent, one after the other until the screen is complete, then repeated in the same fashion a short time (like1/60th second) later.

Resolutions that end in i are Interlaced scan (used for low-performance TV sets) which first send all the Odd rows, 1,3,5,7 etc, then a short time later (like 1/60th second) sends the even rows 2,4,6,8 in the next screen re-draw. This means it does not have to handle the screen data as aggressively, but flickers less than redrawing the entire screen at once (p) at /30th second interval.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 27, 2021 7:44 AM in response to kpbarbee

<< Trying to find out what the resolution is so I can get a compatible external monitor. >>

That computer will support ANY major brand display on the market today.

Anything LESS THAN the maximum stated, '6016‑by‑3384 resolution at 60Hz at over a billion colors' will work just fine. 4K and larger display should use DisplayPort family or USB-C or ThunderBolt to make the connection, because HDMI (invented for consumer HD TV sets) runs out of bandwidth and is troublesome at higher resolutions.

--------

The p in 1080p says Progressive scan, where the scan lines are sent, one after the other until the screen is complete, then repeated in the same fashion a short time (like1/60th second) later.

Resolutions that end in i are Interlaced scan (used for low-performance TV sets) which first send all the Odd rows, 1,3,5,7 etc, then a short time later (like 1/60th second) sends the even rows 2,4,6,8 in the next screen re-draw. This means it does not have to handle the screen data as aggressively, but flickers less than redrawing the entire screen at once (p) at /30th second interval.

Macbook Pro 16" 2019 resolution in "p" such as 720p, 1080p, etc.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.