Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari fails after Monterey upgrade with "(NSPOSIXErrorDomain:28)"

Since I upgraded my M1 Mac mini to Monterey, I notice that after Safari has been running for a time, it starts to fail to load images. If I try to open a new page when it's in this state, I get this:

However, if I quit Safari and then immediately restart it, opening the same page works correctly.

Mac mini, macOS 12.0

Posted on Oct 27, 2021 9:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2021 5:20 AM

brbo,

I appreciate your effort to capture the obvious things first. That's always good debugging practice. Let me address your suggestions:

> Seems Safari needs more free space than your Mac now has free, after the update.

Given the message, this was an obvious possibility that I had already checked: I have multiple drives attached to the Mac mini, but all of them have ample space -- the lowest being 266Gig free. I also did a "df -h" on the machine and compared it to another Mac that was still running the previous OS, and saw no obvious capacity issues.

> If so, with several tabs open Safari.could be struggling.

I don’t typically keep a lot of tabs open, but I can verify that I can recreate the issue with only a single tab in a single window, just by browsing through various websites for some period of time (less than 5 minutes). 

It seems like there *might* be a correlation with pages that have lots of embedded YouTube videos, but I have no solid proof of that.

> Activity monitor on your Mac is a handy way to see which apps are using all the energy:

I am familiar with Activity Monitor and use it regularly. There was nothing unusual on any of the tabs.

As to the “If Safari on Mac doesn't open a webpage or isn’t working as expected:” article:

• Reload the page — reloading does nothing; once Safari is in this state opening any page shows the error
  • Install software updates — Already running latest: OS 12.0.1 + Safari 15.1
  • Turn off Safari extensions — No affect after disabling and removing all extensions other than 1Password. I will disable this as well for testing, but a web browser without access to the password safe is unusable.
  • Test with a private window — I was able to replicate even after clearing all history, but I will test in a private window today.
  • Check network settings — no proxy or custom DNS settings on this machine. Other applications (including Chrome looking at the same pages being tested in Safari) all continue to work.

Anyway, I hope you see that I had done some fairly extensive testing before posting the issue here. Apologies for not providing the above detail in my original post. 

31 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 28, 2021 5:20 AM in response to brbo

brbo,

I appreciate your effort to capture the obvious things first. That's always good debugging practice. Let me address your suggestions:

> Seems Safari needs more free space than your Mac now has free, after the update.

Given the message, this was an obvious possibility that I had already checked: I have multiple drives attached to the Mac mini, but all of them have ample space -- the lowest being 266Gig free. I also did a "df -h" on the machine and compared it to another Mac that was still running the previous OS, and saw no obvious capacity issues.

> If so, with several tabs open Safari.could be struggling.

I don’t typically keep a lot of tabs open, but I can verify that I can recreate the issue with only a single tab in a single window, just by browsing through various websites for some period of time (less than 5 minutes). 

It seems like there *might* be a correlation with pages that have lots of embedded YouTube videos, but I have no solid proof of that.

> Activity monitor on your Mac is a handy way to see which apps are using all the energy:

I am familiar with Activity Monitor and use it regularly. There was nothing unusual on any of the tabs.

As to the “If Safari on Mac doesn't open a webpage or isn’t working as expected:” article:

• Reload the page — reloading does nothing; once Safari is in this state opening any page shows the error
  • Install software updates — Already running latest: OS 12.0.1 + Safari 15.1
  • Turn off Safari extensions — No affect after disabling and removing all extensions other than 1Password. I will disable this as well for testing, but a web browser without access to the password safe is unusable.
  • Test with a private window — I was able to replicate even after clearing all history, but I will test in a private window today.
  • Check network settings — no proxy or custom DNS settings on this machine. Other applications (including Chrome looking at the same pages being tested in Safari) all continue to work.

Anyway, I hope you see that I had done some fairly extensive testing before posting the issue here. Apologies for not providing the above detail in my original post. 

Oct 27, 2021 8:07 PM in response to theMcQ

Hi theMcQ,

Welcome to the Apple Community.

Seems Safari needs more free space than your Mac now has free, after the update.

If so, with several tabs open Safari.could be struggling.

The Operating Service needs at least 50Gb free space. for smooth operation.

How to check, and /or free up storage space on your Mac.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206996

If storage is not the issue

Sometimes the system struggles because third-party (non-Apple) apps are not optimised for the current software.

Activity monitor on your Mac is a handy way to see which apps are using all the energy:

https://support.apple.com/https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT202731

If that also, is not the issue, try this article :

If Safari on Mac doesn't open a webpage or isn’t working as expected:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204098

Hope this helps :-)

Oct 29, 2021 6:40 PM in response to theMcQ

Thank you for your reply, the McQ, and for the extra information you have provided.

We are all Apple users here, like yourself, in the Apple community,.

We do the best we can to help each other troubleshoot.

With this better picture of your issue available, it may now attract more attention from the volunteer experts,

You can also send feedback about Safari, to Apple if you wish.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/safari.html

If needed:

There is a "Get Support" link to Apple at top right on this discussion page.

All the best :-)

Jan 18, 2022 9:12 PM in response to jlpate

Hi jlpate,

Re: This is so frustrating I can't even use it!

It's not easy to be patient while Apple fine-tunes it's latest Safari upgrade.

Does it help at all to Quit Safari, and re-launch it ?

Some of us have another browser (eg Firefox) "on the side" for any difficult moments, while waiting for the next Safari update.

Meanwhile, there are new things to learn (eg: about new ways with tabs etc.,) and letting go old ways of doing things.

Safari Support

https://support.apple.com/safari

All the best :-)

Nov 24, 2021 7:05 AM in response to ricky.motown

> Some people are reporting success by turning off "Hide IP address from trackers" in Safari preferences

Interesting. There really should be no possible way for that to make a difference, *however* after toggling this setting, I was unable to replicate the issue using a test pattern that had previously consistently shown the problem within about 5 minutes. That's only a single test, so if someone else tries this and still sees the problem, please let us know.

Dec 17, 2021 11:02 PM in response to ricky.motown

> Some people are reporting success by turning off "Hide IP address from trackers" in Safari preferences

The above seems to be working for me as well. I thought this was more of an OS thing since I've had issues with other apps as well like Outlook, Slack etc. But I guess they are "using safari" or some of it's components in some way.

I'm running Macos 12.0.1 and Safari 15.1 (17612.2.9.1.20)

Safari fails after Monterey upgrade with "(NSPOSIXErrorDomain:28)"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.