Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I clear space if it says I don’t have enough storage for a backup

I have taken up 130 gb of space in my iCloud on back ups. I need to back up my phone now because my last back up was over a year ago. My phone says I don’t have enough storage. How do I clear storage.

iPhone XS Max, iOS 14

Posted on Oct 27, 2021 11:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2021 8:00 PM

Note there's different kinds of "storage". Click on this link to "Learn the difference between your device and iCloud storage, ways to manage your space" and upgrading to iCloud+ if you need more --> https://support.apple.com/HT206504

Take-away:

1. Storage on a device itself is fixed and cannot be upgraded. You have to change your present device for one with more capacity.

2. iCloud storage is on Apple's main computers. It is not a like a normal storage hard drive but by using optimization settings on your device it can help free up device storage. Lesser used items and larger file versions can be stored in ICloud and you can get access while connected to the Internet. It does not turn a 64 GB storage device into a 64 (or whatever) + 50GB/200GB/2TB device but if you have a lot of things that aren't being used much, or you don't mind only having lesser quality photos on your device it can free up extra space so you can make the best of the GB you do have on the device itself.

If you have upgraded iCloud storage and are seeing a message on your device that storage is full then it is possible you are not making the best use of iCloud storage and need to use optimization features. If you do have optimization activated then it is possible you are exceeding your device's needs in terms of on-device storage and you need to buy a device with more storage.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 27, 2021 8:00 PM in response to Brookemorgan914

Note there's different kinds of "storage". Click on this link to "Learn the difference between your device and iCloud storage, ways to manage your space" and upgrading to iCloud+ if you need more --> https://support.apple.com/HT206504

Take-away:

1. Storage on a device itself is fixed and cannot be upgraded. You have to change your present device for one with more capacity.

2. iCloud storage is on Apple's main computers. It is not a like a normal storage hard drive but by using optimization settings on your device it can help free up device storage. Lesser used items and larger file versions can be stored in ICloud and you can get access while connected to the Internet. It does not turn a 64 GB storage device into a 64 (or whatever) + 50GB/200GB/2TB device but if you have a lot of things that aren't being used much, or you don't mind only having lesser quality photos on your device it can free up extra space so you can make the best of the GB you do have on the device itself.

If you have upgraded iCloud storage and are seeing a message on your device that storage is full then it is possible you are not making the best use of iCloud storage and need to use optimization features. If you do have optimization activated then it is possible you are exceeding your device's needs in terms of on-device storage and you need to buy a device with more storage.

How do I clear space if it says I don’t have enough storage for a backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.