Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

why does my iphone say that i don't have enough space to back up on icloud when i do have space

my iphone says it is unable to backup my data because there isn't enough space but i have only used 49 mb from 5 GB of space on my icloud

iPhone 11, iOS 16

Posted on Oct 5, 2023 6:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2023 6:33 AM

It sounds like the next backup of your iPhone would be larger than the <5 GB of space you have available in iCloud. Here's how you can check how large the next backup of your iPhone would be:

1. In iOS, go to Settings > [your name].
  2. Tap iCloud. At the top, you can check how much iCloud storage you've used.
  3. Tap Manage Account Storage or Manage Storage.
  4. Tap Backups, then tap the device you're using. Under Last Backup and Backup Size, you can check Next Backup Size. It may take a few minutes for your device to calculate Next Backup Size. 
  5. If your backup needs more space than the amount you have available in iCloud, you can: 

If you still need help, contact Apple Support.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 5, 2023 6:33 AM in response to tquilacader

It sounds like the next backup of your iPhone would be larger than the <5 GB of space you have available in iCloud. Here's how you can check how large the next backup of your iPhone would be:

1. In iOS, go to Settings > [your name].
  2. Tap iCloud. At the top, you can check how much iCloud storage you've used.
  3. Tap Manage Account Storage or Manage Storage.
  4. Tap Backups, then tap the device you're using. Under Last Backup and Backup Size, you can check Next Backup Size. It may take a few minutes for your device to calculate Next Backup Size. 
  5. If your backup needs more space than the amount you have available in iCloud, you can: 

If you still need help, contact Apple Support.

why does my iphone say that i don't have enough space to back up on icloud when i do have space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.