Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

File Sharing -- Monterey and Big Sur Computers

I have an iMac of current vintage and an older MacBook Air. The new OS, Monterey, will not run older Macs (including my MacBook Air).

If I update my iMac to run on Monterey, will I still be able to access files on the MacBook Air (and vice versa) through the network, even though my iMac and MacBook Air would be running on different Operating Systems? See my screenshot below if that question is unclear.

Thank you.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 27, 2021 11:57 AM

4 replies

Oct 27, 2021 2:41 PM in response to BethesdaJack

What types of files? If they are the usual and regular Mac file formats (extensions), and/or those common to multiple operating systems then yes. Data files are not OS specific for the most part, but are dependent on which app you're using and its backward compatible and cross platform aspects.

What files specifically are you worried about? Music files? Spreadsheets? Word processing? Text?

Oct 27, 2021 2:44 PM in response to ku4hx

I'm not sure you understand my question. I am concerned about being able to access files through the network. For example, when I am using my iMac, I can access the files on the MacBook Air because it treats the MacBook Air as a server. My concern is whether I will be able to continue to have such access if my iMac is running on Monterey and my MacBook Air is running on Big Sur.

File Sharing -- Monterey and Big Sur Computers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.