Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

migrating data to new MacBook Pro 14" - M1 Pro

The migration app seems incapable of just letting you choose DATA FILES to transfer.

I don't want and can't use the Application Folder , as there is nothing installable in there ! same with network files. Don't even know what "other files " are so I can DE-SLELECT (uncheck)

• Applications, ( application files won't run on another computer. must be installed fresh, last I understood ??)
  • Other files and folders -> what is this ??
  • computer and network settings

BUT

• hard drive named "xyz". ->. there is NO CHOICE to un-select the Library folder, which contains nothing useful.

I want to just copy the data files. why would you move all that other crap to a brand new computer ??

I guess using a external hard drive is the ONLY Way. or connect the two laptop with a physical cable, in my case USB-C to a USB connection and follow the procedure below:

Transfer files between a Mac with Apple silicon and another Mac - Apple Support

any thoughts. ???

Posted on Oct 27, 2021 12:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2021 12:26 PM

Not that article, that is for something different.

You need to reading this article instead:

Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

6 replies

Oct 27, 2021 7:53 PM in response to wheel64

Hi wheel64,

If you only want to transfer certain documents and files, then you're correct; the Migration Assistant app is intended for migrating categories of data (such as entire user accounts, applications and their data, etc.)

That said, there should be nothing preventing application files from running on another computer. That's why Migration Assistant exists, to ensure everything is done in a clean manner and your apps work as they did before. The only thing that could possibly cause issues (as far as I'm aware) are app licenses, if the app developer even implements such a system (a notable example is Microsoft Office). Nonetheless, there should be no need to re-install your apps fresh.

Also, the Library folders can hold quite a bit of useful data:

• The system-wide Library folder contains system-wide preferences, components of third-party apps that run system-wide, as well as certain system-wide app data.

• The per-user Library folder contains all of your user account preferences and your Apple ID settings. It also holds data stored inside of your apps.

Oct 27, 2021 1:47 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Hello Grant,

sorry but that article you link to is what I complained about. I think it is a disaster just for all the reasons that I discussed in my original note. As far as I know, copying over Library files and Application files that are already installed are a waste of time and space, and totally wrong. even if it somehow would work, which I doubt. Why would you want a many years old data structure and useless files on a brand new machine. why not a CLEAN , FRESH install.

All I want are my data files and folders not all the other crap that this tools wants to force me to copy !!

it doesn't seem very hard to me. Apple should just let me browse the disk and choose the files and folders that I want.

I DO NOT WANT A DISK IMAGE OF A 7 YEAR OR 10 YEAR OLD MACHINE.

But thanks anyway.

migrating data to new MacBook Pro 14" - M1 Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.