Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updating iMac to Big Sur

I have a 2019 iMac and was looking to update to Big Sur (So i can use update Logic and use the new features). I know Monterey has just been released but i don't want to do that yet as all my plugins won't be compatible. I found Big Sur in the App Store but when i click ‘Get' it says ‘The requested version of macOS is not available’. I don't know if this is just an issue of timing but just having updated a slightly older MacBook Air a couple of days ago I'm slightly confused.

Thanks

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Oct 27, 2021 2:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2021 5:02 PM

The link supplied by @ VikingOSX must be opened in Safari as does the link for Big Sur in the next page also required Safari - Other Browsers may not work.

Safari will open a redirect and open the Apple Apps Store to commence the Big Sur download.

9 replies

Oct 27, 2021 2:55 PM in response to Dubtanian

Post once. We are not Apple employees nor on a clock with respect to how soon we reply.

Once Monterey became available in the Mac App Store, Big Sur disappeared. You can upgrade your 2019 iMac to Big Sur 11.6.1 by visiting the How to get old versions of macOS, using strictly the Safari browser, and then follow the provided link on that site to Big Sur in the Mac App Store. It will download to your /Applications folder from where you can perform the upgrade.

Since you appear to be coming from High Sierra, you should realize that no 32-bit applications are supported on Big Sur, and you can get a list of those by running the free Go64 application. You should also check that your printer/scanner vendors still provide Big Sur compatible device drivers (released in 2021), which you will need to install, or if your networkable printer is supported by Apple's built-in AirPrint solution. If it is, then you won't need vendor drivers. And finally, if applicable, your Office 2011 for Mac license and applications are unsupported on Big Sur, and will require a new license and binaries.

Recommend that you perform a Time Machine backup prior to the Big Sur upgrade, and then do not use the same TM drive for any Big Sur backups.

Nov 3, 2021 12:52 AM in response to VikingOSX

Hi I followed exactly this.

I have a MBP 2019 with OS 10.14.6

When I used the link in Safari, it properly go to the store and show me Big Sur. When I click on Get, it opens my Mac update and check few seconds before prompting me that this version is not available.

I tried all different procedures that I found on the net. But so far no way to update to Big Sur.

Thanks,

Nov 22, 2021 11:57 AM in response to mcgulu69

I have the exact same experience. Apple is becoming (...) quite a dominant factor into what and when we are allowed to update an OSX version. Whilst they know all devs need time to update and verify all their software to work with the new OSX.

For some odd reason my older (!)MBAir 2015 was able to update a few days ago to Big Sur. Don't know why that was possible but then I didn't know yet that my newer 2019 iMac a few days later couldn't do the update....

I am using a method found on one of the websites that downloads a previous installed Big Sur. SO that is what I am doing now, and hopefully I can create a installer disc that will update this iMac.

All in all: Tim, APPLE, please be little more careful with your customers and allow US to choose when and which update to perform?!!!

Updating iMac to Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.