Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installation of macOS Monterey never completed

Installation stops at 44 min remaining time and doesn't complete

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 27, 2021 3:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2021 4:16 PM

Old Toad’s advice worked. Starting my MacBook Pro With Intel silicon in Safe Mode SOLVED THE PROBLEM namely inability to complete a boot following the upgrade to 12.01. It was necessary to login a second time (after an initial boot in safe mode) which involved a 5 minute reload of the OS. After all that, ABout this Mac shows the OS as 12.01

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 10, 2021 4:16 PM in response to ror114

Old Toad’s advice worked. Starting my MacBook Pro With Intel silicon in Safe Mode SOLVED THE PROBLEM namely inability to complete a boot following the upgrade to 12.01. It was necessary to login a second time (after an initial boot in safe mode) which involved a 5 minute reload of the OS. After all that, ABout this Mac shows the OS as 12.01

Nov 10, 2021 10:31 AM in response to karolus

I've had better luck from the Safe Mode because I evidently have some 3rd party software that interferes with the installation so try the following:

#1 - boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3-5 minutes as it's doing the following; 
• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed
• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)
• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically
• Disables user-installed fonts 
• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

#2 - go to the System/Software Update preference pane and begin the download.

#3 - run the installer from the Safe Mode.

Nov 10, 2021 10:34 AM in response to karolus

That is ok - these things happen

Point # 1A - There are reports appearing on the ASC Forums regarding failed installation of Monterey on older Qualifying Apple Computers. In most cases this is related to having a NON Apple Original internal drive ?  The EFI Boot ROM included in Monterey is verifying for Original Apple Drive and if not found , may Balk or fail to upgrade to Monterey. Reports indicate the EFI BOOT ROM is Required to Flash the Computer and is a  requirement for a Successful Monterey Installation.

Installation of macOS Monterey never completed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.