Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS Monterey takes 25+ minutes to boot

Hi, I wonder if anyone else has the same issue:

Just updated to Monterey from Big Sur - and it takes forever to boot (25+ minutes). Already happened several times.

Before I go through the regular steps for slow boot troubleshooting, I wonder if others have the same issue? And possibly a solution?

iMac 2017 27" 40 GB; 180 GB free space

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 12.0

Posted on Oct 27, 2021 6:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2021 5:39 PM

Thanks, that's good to know.

My system is also on an external SSD drive. So it appears that Monterey has problems specifically with external drives.

Because I was testing Monterey also on my internal drive and there was no issues (the internal drive is Fusion and I don't use it for real work as it's too slow).

I submitted a bug to Apple.

As a developer I have to upgrade early. Usually there's no issues. But Apple screwed up this time with Monterey.

You mentioned "verbose mode output"... How do you activate it - I'm not familiar with this option?

138 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 28, 2021 5:39 PM in response to CosmicTraveller

Thanks, that's good to know.

My system is also on an external SSD drive. So it appears that Monterey has problems specifically with external drives.

Because I was testing Monterey also on my internal drive and there was no issues (the internal drive is Fusion and I don't use it for real work as it's too slow).

I submitted a bug to Apple.

As a developer I have to upgrade early. Usually there's no issues. But Apple screwed up this time with Monterey.

You mentioned "verbose mode output"... How do you activate it - I'm not familiar with this option?

Oct 28, 2021 2:09 AM in response to leobraun

Same problem here… taking 30 minutes to boot up after upgrading to Monterey from Big Sur. I’m using an external 1TB NVMe inside an RTL9210 enclosure. Was never a problem with Big Sur on my Late 2015 i5 iMac

Once eventually loaded it seems ok, so just going to leave it on permanently & let it sleep until a resolution is found.

Have tried reinstalling Monterey & clearing SMC & PRAM, but no difference. Looking at the verbose mode output, it seems to be doing lots of tx_enter, tx_flush, tx_leave operations which are taking ages.

Apple’s MacOS upgrades are always very aggressive, which is why a lot of people wait months for fixes to be released. I foolishly upgraded thinking Apple might have got it right this time. Should know better 🙄

Nov 1, 2021 10:45 AM in response to leobraun

I've noticed the same problem, but only a few days ago, after updating from Big Sur to Monterey. At the beginning everything was running smoothly and fast. But now it takes several minutes until startup is done.

To be honest don't know what to do, although I'm a power user since decades.

Intel iMac 2019, 128 GB RAM, 2 TB internal NVMe-SSD.

Oct 29, 2021 7:59 AM in response to leobraun

Etrecheck

Suggest downloading the Application Etrecheck directly from a well Respected ASC Contributor. 

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with nor receive compensation from the Developer.

The application is free or paid from added features. 

Run the application with Full Disc Access ( Security & Privacy - Full Disc Access ).

It will take a Snap Shot -  both the hardware and software.

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. 

Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last )

We can have a look at the report for possible issues and may have possible suggestions to resolve the issues.

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS, alter, modify, remove or delete or attempt to do so is an invitation for disaster and may require a Reinstallation of the OS.

This includes AntiVirus, Cleaners, Optimizes, UnInstaller etc.

The The Built in Security  is all that is required.

Oct 31, 2021 6:56 AM in response to CosmicTraveller

Regardless, both Intel and M Chip based computer running Big Sur and above all boot from the now " Sealed and Read Only Volume ." Kernal extension unless allows to be installed by Apple will always reside outside that volume.

The "Sealed and Read Only Volume " was introduced in Big Sur and a refinement of the Catalina Read Only Volume whee kernel extension may have been written to that volume but not any more.

System and kernel extensions in macOS

Dec 19, 2021 11:57 AM in response to tarterbulba

I am not familiar how to to file a ticket for it.

You can contact Apple support using Get Support link at the top of this page, which will eventually bring you here:

https://getsupport.apple.com/

It's unlikely they'll actually help you with this issue, but at least they'll have another record of it.

Also, make sure to leave feedback here:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/macos.html

In both cases, give them link to this discussion.

Mar 7, 2022 9:54 AM in response to TakomaFan

Download and run Etrecheck.  Copy and paste the results into your reply. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

IMPORTANT:

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck in the first window that comes up so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

Also click the About… vurron and read the info to further permit full disk access.

Copy the report

and use the Additional Text button to include the report in your reply.

That will allow us to evaluate the report to see if there is anything that stands out that might be contributing to the performance hit.

Jun 16, 2022 10:29 AM in response to leobraun

Download and run Etrecheck.  Copy and paste the results into your reply. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

IMPORTANT:

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck in the first window that comes up so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

Also click the About… vurron and read the info to further permit full disk access.

Copy the report

and use the Additional Text button to include the report in your reply.

That will let us examine the report to see what might be causing the problem.

Oct 29, 2021 3:30 AM in response to leobraun

Yep sounds like an external drive issue then. It also seems slow when running Monterey, like it has a big problem with booting & running via external drive. Was fine with Big Sur.

Just hold Cmd+V on startup and you’ll see the output log. You may have to take a screenshot or record it with your phone to read it properly, as it scrolls off the screen.

It’s been tough going recently… Had no end of problems with the Developer Transition Kit too.

Thankfully have another Mac with Big Sur I can use for development. Fingers crossed they release a fix for Monterey soon🤞

Oct 30, 2021 2:37 AM in response to leobraun

Thank you the Report and taking the the time to run the Application.

Major Issues:

Anything that appears on this list needs immediate attention.

Unsigned files - There are unsigned software files installed that could be adware and should be reviewed.

System Integrity Protection disabled - System Integrity Protection is disabled. Not a good idea to run with this disabled on a Regular Basis and should be be done for remove a specific file when no other way possible and then Re-Enabled.

Automatic updates disabled - Automatic updates are disabled. This computer is at risk of malware infection. One may have personal reasons - so can not argue that but better to have it on.

Security updates disabled - Security updates are disabled. This computer is at risk of malware infection. One may have personal reasons - so can not argue that but better to have it on.

Kernel panics - This system has experienced kernel panics that could be related to 3rd party software.

Apple security disabled - Apple security software is disabled. This computer is at risk of malware infection.

Configuration profiles found - This computer may have configuration profiles installed. These are sometimes used by adware and malware.

Core files found - This computer has core files.

Minor Issues:

Clean up - There are orphan files that could be removed.

System modifications - There are a large number of system modifications running in the background.

Kernel boot arguments - This computer has custom kernel boot arguments.

Kernel extensions present - This computer has kernel extensions that may not work in the future.

disk0 - APPLE HDD ST1000DM003 1.00 TB (Mechanical - 7200 RPM)

Internal SATA 6 Gigabit Serial ATA

disk0s1 - EFI (MS-DOS FAT32) [EFI] 210 MB

disk0s2 [APFS Fusion Drive] 1000.00 GB

disk1 - APPLE SSD SM0032L 28.00 GB (Solid State - TRIM: Yes)

Fusion drive are good for storage but for Performance - even the 7200 RPM Drive will be slower that all SSD Drive

System Software:

macOS Monterey 12.0.1 (21A559)

Time since boot: About 2 days

Boot args: debug=0x20

Configuration Files:

One core file: Total size 2.32 GB

Configuration Profiles:

This computer may have configuration profiles installed.

macOS Monterey takes 25+ minutes to boot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.