Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie update causes hang

Anyone know how I might repair my iMac after receiving an iMovie update - supposedly to enable cinematic editing on iPhone 13 Pro? I have deleted the app and reinstalled - no effect. (I did not update my events when asked if I wanted to.)

Screenshot of the Force Quit (only way to get it to do anything after initial launch) Report for the techno geeks/wizards that may understand it.

iMovie is currently completely useless for me and I have an Audition Recording Service and iMovie is my main (only) editor. I'd sure be appreciative if someone could help me get up and running again.

Thanks!

Brian

[Link Edited by Moderator]

Posted on Oct 27, 2021 11:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2021 10:08 AM

For some reason iMovie 10.3 has demonstrated some odd issues. First thing is to make sure that you have enough free space to download the app.

If sufficient space, and if Ian's good suggestion to try Deleting Preferences doesn't solve it, try these other diagnostic procedures:

Safe Mode

Try booting up in Safe Mode (see Finder menu for instructions) and, after everything loads, immediately shut down and reboot in normal mode. Then see if iMovie works properly.

Opening iMovie in a new user account

Create a new user account from System Preferences/Users and Groups and try to open and use iMovie in the new account.

You can use the Guest account on your Mac for this purpose.

Opening iMovie in a new library

Try opening iMovie in a new library.  To do that, open iMovie while holding down

the Option key and then selecting to create a new library in the box that

appears.

Resetting the System Management Controller

Try resetting the System Management Controller (but no longer available for the new M1 computers):

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

Resetting the NVRAM or PRAM

Try resetting the NVRAM or PRAM:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

Contact Apple Support

If none of the above resolve your issue, contact Apple Support.  The techs there have the capability of remotely accessing your computer that we cannot do here.  To contact apple support click on the Get Support item in the upper right hand corner of this forum’s screen.  Navigate to a place where you can enter your phone number.

-- Rich

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 28, 2021 10:08 AM in response to BSC57

For some reason iMovie 10.3 has demonstrated some odd issues. First thing is to make sure that you have enough free space to download the app.

If sufficient space, and if Ian's good suggestion to try Deleting Preferences doesn't solve it, try these other diagnostic procedures:

Safe Mode

Try booting up in Safe Mode (see Finder menu for instructions) and, after everything loads, immediately shut down and reboot in normal mode. Then see if iMovie works properly.

Opening iMovie in a new user account

Create a new user account from System Preferences/Users and Groups and try to open and use iMovie in the new account.

You can use the Guest account on your Mac for this purpose.

Opening iMovie in a new library

Try opening iMovie in a new library.  To do that, open iMovie while holding down

the Option key and then selecting to create a new library in the box that

appears.

Resetting the System Management Controller

Try resetting the System Management Controller (but no longer available for the new M1 computers):

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

Resetting the NVRAM or PRAM

Try resetting the NVRAM or PRAM:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

Contact Apple Support

If none of the above resolve your issue, contact Apple Support.  The techs there have the capability of remotely accessing your computer that we cannot do here.  To contact apple support click on the Get Support item in the upper right hand corner of this forum’s screen.  Navigate to a place where you can enter your phone number.

-- Rich

Nov 2, 2021 5:59 PM in response to BSC57

I would not upgrade to Monterey at this time. There have been some performance issues with iMovie running on Monterey, that have not yet been worked out. So I would wait awhile.

Here's a link that explains how to boot in Safe Mode.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262#issue

Regarding starting in a new library, in the box that appears when you open iMovie while holding down the Option key, actually select to create a brand new blank library. We want

Finally, to rule out a conflict in your user account, try opening iMovie in your Mac's guest account. Alternatively, you can create a new user account by going to System Preferences/Users and Groups.

In the event that you try all of the suggestions in this thread, and still have no success, then try calling Apple Support. The techs there have the capability of remotely accessing your computer that we cannot do here.  To contact apple support click on the Get Support item in the upper right hand corner of this forum’s screen.  Navigate to a place where you can enter your

phone number.

-- Rich

Nov 2, 2021 3:21 PM in response to Rich839

Hi Rich,

And thanks for all the suggestions. I tried all that I could:

Safe Mode: couldn't find the instructions anywhere.

Opening iMovie in a new user account: worked perfectly in Guest account. However, this deletes everything when one logs out. Not going to work long term - I have an audition taping business and need to use iMovie every day.

Opening iMovie in a new library: won't work because I just get the rainbow wheel of doom upon starting iMovie - no opportunity to select a new library. (Actually, I tried. it again and I was able to locate and select a library and THEN I got the rainbow wheel of doom. Force Quit. :-( )

Resetting the System Management Controller: I performed the actions as instructed. I could tell no difference.

Resetting the NVRAM or PRAM: I performed the actions as instructed. I could tell no difference.

From the above, can you tell why my iMovie is hosed (other than that I accepted the "update" like a dummy. I see that Apple is offering a Software update to Monterey. I am reluctant to take it while I have a stop issue happening on my main work box. However, I suspect that the iMovie release may be ahead of its schedule and that the update to Monterey may actually fix it.

Thoughts??

Thanks again!

Brian

Nov 3, 2021 3:44 AM in response to BSC57

It is quite easy to install a second OS on a Mac to test whether it is OK and how apps behave.

Using Disk Utility you create a new partition on your hard drive and install the new OS on that.

You can then boot into either the old or the new operating systems to test apps etc. on either partition.

If you decide you don't need the new partition any more you can easily delete it and the Mac is back in its original state.

iMovie update causes hang

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.