Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth pairing between iPhone and Mac Mini M1 "not supported"

Hi. I'm unable to connect my iPhone (iOS 15.1) to my Mac Mini M1 (MacOS 12.0.1). The initial pairing seems to work as the code verification pops up on both the iPhone and the Mac, however it never actually connects and I get the following message:

Connection Unsuccessful

"Name of my device" is not supported.

Forget Device (button)

Has anyone run into same issue?

Mac mini, macOS 12.0

Posted on Oct 28, 2021 12:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2022 3:39 AM

I'm not sure it has anything to do with iCloud.

My iMac M1 will not connect to my iPad or iPhone nor will it allow my iMac to unlock using my Apple Watch. This all seems to have been a problem since the 12.1 update.

In the Bluetooth settings on the iMac I can pair the iPad and iPhone but both immediately go to 'not connected', if I then select 'connect' it shows connected for around 2 seconds and drops back to 'not connected'. Clicking the option to unlock the iMac with my watch leaves it twirling for a while before becoming unchecked again. (The watch and the iPhone are paired with each other with no problems)

This is becoming frustrating.

168 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 4, 2022 3:39 AM in response to Bob Garner

I'm not sure it has anything to do with iCloud.

My iMac M1 will not connect to my iPad or iPhone nor will it allow my iMac to unlock using my Apple Watch. This all seems to have been a problem since the 12.1 update.

In the Bluetooth settings on the iMac I can pair the iPad and iPhone but both immediately go to 'not connected', if I then select 'connect' it shows connected for around 2 seconds and drops back to 'not connected'. Clicking the option to unlock the iMac with my watch leaves it twirling for a while before becoming unchecked again. (The watch and the iPhone are paired with each other with no problems)

This is becoming frustrating.

Jan 5, 2022 7:30 AM in response to gbfluteman

This has nothing at all to do with iCloud, so please stop. It is strictly about BT. In fact the two are not even synonymous. Whoever is talking about iCloud is not understanding the issue. The issue is not about syncing. The issue is that the Mac (your flavor) will not pair/join/connect with your phone.

I use my phone paired with my Mac so I can make and receive calls using my Mac while at my desk and phone nearby.. CONNECTED WITH BLUETOOTH!!!!!

So this is the issue.. my phone will not connect anymore.. It worked just fine with Big Sur.

Sep 17, 2022 6:22 PM in response to andré123

Modern Macs and iPhones cannot be PAIRED via Bluetooth, and there is NO NEED to pair them, so please stop trying.

They can be CONNECTED, which is a different thing entirely, and the Mac will show the connected devices.

Apple provides a raft of functions that use the Bluetooth connection. NONE of them require pairing: Use Continuity to connect your Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple Watch - Apple Support

This really should end the discussion here.

Nov 13, 2021 5:25 PM in response to andré123

andré123 Said:

"So I tried resetting with terminal using "sudo pkill bluetoothd" and could see that it reset both my mouse and keyboard however I'm still getting the same issue when trying to pair my iPhone."

-------

Provide your Feedback:

Do your Part: Inform Apple of your feedback. Apple wont get back to you directly, but the more feedback thy receive from its users, the more likely they will know what needs to be fixed.

1. Go Here: Feedback - macOS - Apple
  2. Select: "Feature Request" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Select: "Application/Utilities" for the "Feedback Area"
  4. Comment: that you want this to come back as an option. 
  5. Proceed from there as necessary.

Oct 28, 2021 12:40 AM in response to andré123

andré123 Said:

"Bluetooth pairing between iPhone and Mac Mini M1 'not supported': Hi. I'm unable to connect my iPhone (iOS 15.1) to my Mac Mini M1 (MacOS 12.0.1). The initial pairing seems to work as the code verification pops up on both the iPhone and the Mac, however it never actually connects and I get the following message: Connection Unsuccessful "Name of my device" is not supported. Forget Device (button) Has anyone run into same issue?"

-------

Reset the Bluetooth Module:

No. I am not getting this issue. So, try the following: Use "Reset the Bluetooth module" to Fix Constant Bluetooth Disconnections - User Tip

Jan 27, 2022 9:18 AM in response to andré123

I found this to be helpful: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203302

My biggest issue was not being able to pair my iPhone mini with MacBook Air M1 / macOS Monterey using Bluetooth. I need to work in areas where sometimes it is needed but instead I reset my network, renamed my Phone and able to use personal hotspots with wi-fi vs Bluetooth. Hope this can be helpful for others? They still need to fix the bug as I get the same response. But this may alleviate some stress over this issue until it is fixed.

Mar 6, 2022 12:18 AM in response to Bob Garner

"As far as have been able to determine this feature is simply NOT SUPPOSED TO WORK AT ALL ANY LONGER." This appears to be the case. I have the same problem connecting BT to my devices as everyone else in this thread. The solution seems to be found in the FaceTime settings in iPhone iOS. Make sure that the settings in all associated devices (MacOS, iPadOS and iPhone OS) conform to what is listed above. Next in iPhone iOS (only) go to Settings>FaceTime and, even if the phone number and email addresses listed are correct, choose the "Use Apple ID" selection. The choice will then disappear and beneath the caller ID section will appear "Apple ID: xxxxxxxxx". For good measure, restart all devices (not sure this is necessary, but just to be safe). Then follow the instructions listed here: Use Continuity to connect your Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple Watch - Apple Support. I used the SideCar set up to verify the solution worked

Apr 6, 2022 9:11 AM in response to andré123

OK, here's the deal: I got in touch with an Apple engineer, and was told that "with bluetooth pairing, this is an expected behavior since Mac to iPhone is not yet supported with both devices."

The iPhone and Mac are in fact talking over BT, despite not being paired, but it's at a low level. Apps like AirDrop use WiFi for the file transfers. (I suspect that the BT chatter has to do with security, which would explain why it's invisible to the user.)

There is outdated Apple guidance floating about that instructs you to pair the devices, but it only applies to Big Sur and earlier, and in many cases this is not made clear. Any instructions to "pair" an iPhone to a Mac via BT do not apply if your OS is Mojave or later. BT may need to be on for some applications, but pairing is not implemented. (I don't know what to make of the "yet" in his statement.)

The current way to set up an iPhone hotspot: Use an iPhone or iPad to connect your Mac to the internet - Apple Support

Jun 29, 2022 9:58 AM in response to Briank75

Briank75 wrote:

Idris seabright

I agree with you that is my experience everything works.

But the point was that Apple support and Apple supervisor support and Apple technical support supporting the support didn’t know that point

I have no explanation for why they were not able to give you the answer. There's nothing in the support document that says you need to pair anything:

How to use AirDrop on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Bluetooth pairing between iPhone and Mac Mini M1 "not supported"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.