Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB 3.0 Hub Broken on Mac OS Monterey 12.0.1

Since upgrading to Mac OS Monterey, solely the USB 3.0 port on my Hub has stopped working. Power is allowed to pass through to connected devices, however the transfer of data has stopped working.

Everything was working on Mac OS Big Sur, and it is only since updating to Monterey it has stopped working. I have found several reports on the developer forums for Mac OS stating this was an issue since around Beta 3 for some users, and there are reports on Reddit of other people having this issue.

Apple Support were useless and told me to bring my Mac in for repair (despite it only being 4 days old and the issue happening directly after an update) I took the Hub back to the place of purchase and they tested it on a Mac with Big Sur installed and it worked. When plugging it into another Mac that had been updated to Monterey the 3.0 Port stopped working.

It's an Advent Hub, not some dodgy knockoff one of Amazon. It worked absolutely fine prior to the Monterey upgrade.

Now when plugging in my iPhone via USB 3.0 or my Mouse, all that happens is the LED's on my mouse light up (but not the laser) or my iPhone charges, but won't connect to my Mac.

Oddly, both the HDMI and USB-C port on the hub continue to work as expected.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 28, 2021 2:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2021 5:37 AM

Thanks for your response.

Unfortunately I don't have an Intel Mac to test this on, both machines tested at the place of purchase were M1 based Macs. My Mac, is also M1 based.

M1 with Big Sur = Working USB Hub

M1 with Monterey = Broken USB Hub with only HDMI and USB-C working on the hub, but no USB 3.0

It would be interesting to test with an Intel Mac on both Monterey and Big Sur, to see if the issues are consistent across both chipsets and OS's. The fact of the matter is though, my M1 based machine worked fine with this hub on Big Sur, and Monterey has changed that.

Similar questions

137 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 28, 2021 5:37 AM in response to PRP_53

Thanks for your response.

Unfortunately I don't have an Intel Mac to test this on, both machines tested at the place of purchase were M1 based Macs. My Mac, is also M1 based.

M1 with Big Sur = Working USB Hub

M1 with Monterey = Broken USB Hub with only HDMI and USB-C working on the hub, but no USB 3.0

It would be interesting to test with an Intel Mac on both Monterey and Big Sur, to see if the issues are consistent across both chipsets and OS's. The fact of the matter is though, my M1 based machine worked fine with this hub on Big Sur, and Monterey has changed that.

Nov 3, 2021 3:39 PM in response to woodmeister50

I have a TBI (the black blue ones that look alike), an OKX ( a big gray metal box one) four of five different little smaller ones like the XSPUS and the SMK Link. I daisy-chained 3 of them together recently and got one of the ports to let me use one of my externals, but my mic is down for the count. I can make do with the internal mic on the M1 20202 13", but I hate the sound. I think this was more out of frustration as I had a complete studio working great and then 2 days after upgrading everything went really bad. I had no idea and had not read about this issue before this or I would have waited to upgrade, obviously.

I looked up the ones you were talking about and I have one of the Sabrent 7 port USB 3 hubs coming. For the record, I don't think I said "all hubs" not working. I don't usually say "all" or "never" as that is rarely the case in life. It is disconcerting, either way, to have your studio running like a champ and then all of a sudden things just stop working and not know why. I will argue it was still wrong to release this with this kind of known error, knowing that we all invested lots of time and money to buy hubs and cables and so forth to deal with fewer ports on machines we love so much. I think it is important for people to know that this happened is all I was really saying. I know I got wordy, that is on me. I'm old, but that is no excuse for it. LOL Thanks for your help!

Oct 28, 2021 6:48 AM in response to PRP_53

I don’t think you follow what I’m saying.

Multiple Display Model M1 Macs running Big Sur we’re tested and worked fine with the Hub.

The one M1 Mac that had been updated to Monterey on display showed the exact same behaviour as my device.

HDMI working, USB-C working but no USB 3.0.

Why would I return my device, when initial testing (albeit limited) points to a software issue over hardware issue?

See here for reports of this in early beta’s which were never fixed.

https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/683409

Oct 28, 2021 10:59 AM in response to macuser1996ms

I have the exact same problem. I have two XSPUS 9in1 USB-C hubs that I've been using for months on OS 11.6 with absolutely no problem on a M1 MacBook and M1 Mini. I upgraded the MacBook to Monterey on Monday and now none of the USB type A ports on the hub work. (HDMI and USB-C power passthrough works - same as OP)

Several other people at my office have the same exact problem with other brands of hubs.

FYI, this bug was noted as much as 4 months ago for Monterey and it made it all the way to release. What a joke.

https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/683409

This is shameful on Apple's part; with the already limited number of ports on a MacBook it makes the computer pretty useless.

Nov 10, 2021 12:37 AM in response to macuser1996ms

My 4K webcam stopped working because the it could no longer connect at the right speed once I had upgraded to monterey - needs to connect at 5Gbps via USB-C, but it was only connecting at old school USB 2.0 speeds.

I can confirm that certain USB Hubs and cables are no longer working well with Monterey.

My setup used to be USB3.1gen1 cable to Dell 4k Monitor (with built in USB 3.0 Hub) > USB 3.0 cable to Dell D6000 Dock > USB-C (not sure of the spec) cable to the WebCam.

1. It appears the USB dock on the Dell monitor is no longer running at 5Gbps on Monterey.
  2. But also certain USB-C cables that used to work with the camera (or other devices) plugged in directly to the MacBook now no longer work either. This includes the genuine apple USB-C cables that I had to hand.

I swapped out all the cables with brand new USB-IF certified cables and changed my setup so the dock is now directly plugged into my M1 and the dock connected to the webcam (slightly annoying as now I have to plug in two cables, rather than one) - my camera (and my external drives etc) now connects at 5Gbps and is working. Direct connections now also work with the certified USB 3.1gen1 cables.

Anything connected to the USB hub of the dell monitor (U3219Q) is still only running at USB 2.0 speeds. I tried upgrading the firmware for it, but no change.

I have tested other devices too and they had also dropped from USB 3.0 'superspeed' 5Gbps or USB 3.1 (5Gbps or more) down to old school USB speeds of ~480Mbps.

So about £50 spent on cables and still not back to where I was, but at least I have a working setup now.

Dec 20, 2021 5:43 PM in response to imseeker

Followup - it's been a busy day for me.

I have found Monterey 12.1 to be a great help. But there are still many misses - I think some are deliberate.

So - original title: USB 3.0 Hub Broken on Mac OS Monterey 12.0.1 - answer, yes, yes it is.

1. Update to Monterey 12.1 if you have these issues. A must do.
  2. Don't trust your current hardware. Only because Apple may not.
  3. I ordered a bunch of adapters/cables/hubs to test Apple. Mainly because I wanted to get this to work.
  4. I found configurations that would work. I found configurations that did nothing from Apple's POV (which work with Big Sur).
  5. For hubs, I found Anker and Sabrent to be almost always a "go". Didn't try any "Apple certified" solutions. There are certainly other brands that work well.
  6. For hubs, many are NOT a go. Cheap knockoffs (which work with Big Sur) don't work in Monterey.
  7. Cables/adapters - same scenario - some work, some don't. (I am aware of USB 3.x Gen X speed issues)

Bottom line - it appears that Apple is becoming "more strict" in allowing items to work - and we are in a process once again.

I now have a setup which seems aok, and quite a bit of "Apple does not approve anymore" items to return to Amazon (which I ABHOR doing, but necessary, I guess.)

NOTE: I did not test monitor access, though I do have one to test. One thing at a time.... ;)

Jan 16, 2022 10:12 AM in response to DigitDoctor

Thank you so much for the really quick response! I should have mentioned in my original post that I unfortunately have tried those tactics (When I was working with Apple Help to eliminate all the other possible errors back in Nov/Dec). In addition to trying a different ports on the monitor, I also tried

• 4 different USB hubs (to eliminate MY hub as the error source),
  • a simple HDMI-USB-C adapter (to see if it was ALL hubs)
  • With a friends (Non M1) Apple computer

I'm wondering if anyone has found a stable workaround yet?

Thank you again,

Matt

Oct 28, 2021 4:28 AM in response to macuser1996ms

Question - the Testing on Other Apple Computer were Intel Based computer or M1 / M1X / M1Pro based computers.

The problematic computer " it only being 4 days old " makes me think this a M1 based computer ?

The Testing, for better results, needs to done using Apples to Apples and versus M1 to Intel specifically testing the Hub - IMHO

Oct 28, 2021 12:40 PM in response to macuser1996ms

I have also had this issue.

Circumstances:

2020 M1 MacBook pro

Totu USB-c hub(generic amazon) model TT-HB002D

Dell MOCZUL laser mouse (wired)

Onn wireless mouse (manufacturer number:100009056)

Dell KB113p wired keyboard

Acer R240HY 1080p monitor

What did I do:

On Mac OS Big Sur, I had no issues using all of these - even simultaneously. After updating to Monterey, however, only the monitor worked with these adapters. In troubleshooting, I began by restarting my computer multiple times (there is no way to reset the PRAM manually anymore, and the SMC has been removed entirely if I recall correctly). When this did not work, I decided to see if the USB ports on the hub worked at all anymore, so I plugged in a flash drive. This appeared as readable on the desktop a few moments later (although somewhat longer than expected). Next, I decided to see if it was a power issue, so I plugged in a USB light strip. This also worked. At this point, I am very confused. I also tried charging/reading photos from my iPhone, but this had the same luckless result as the keyboard and mouse. I know that it has nothing to do with the ports on my mac because I can charge through both of them still, I have HDMI output for my monitor (I haven't had any issues with this, thankfully), and I am able to use my mouse or keyboard by using a simple USB-C to USB-A adapter (the short kind that comes with android phones or that you can buy on Amazon for $5). This would be fine, but I would like to be able to use more than one USB accessory at once. I will be ordering an Anker adapter to see if it fares any better... if not, I will return it.

One more thing: I was able to take the USB-C male to USB-A female adapter mentioned above, pair it with an inverse version (USB-A male to USB-C female), plug the hub into the second adapter, and finally use my mouse and keyboard... The problem here is that I lose the HDMI capabilities at this point.

Clearly, there is not a hardware issue with any of my equipment... this is a bug that will have to be fixed in a future update. I would like to hear from some other people who might possess Apple or Anker hubs. Do they work, or is this an issue for everyone and all dongles?

If you have any questions or would like me to test further, I am happy to help!

Oct 28, 2021 12:40 PM in response to macuser1996ms

I have same problem. Mac mini M1. Thunderbolt port seems to slow down. Detect external ssd (samsung T7) but takes forever to open folders or to eject. Usb hub detects but not functioning properly.

i tried the revive method but couldn’t revive end up erasing and reset to BigSur. Surprisingly the port works back as they are supposed to be.

So I’m curious I upgraded my mini to Monterey for a second time and the problems are back. Reset for a second time to BigSur (Not going to upgrade again 😀)

I have an intel macbook but I didn’t dare to upgrade anymore as I have more important data on my old MacBook.

Oct 28, 2021 1:07 PM in response to macuser1996ms

I have a similar issue.

After plugging in a webcam into the hub, the console was flooded with those messages:

UVCUSBDeviceControlInterface: 0x100006b2f [0x1296279f0] Setting control UVCDeviceControl:[CT_AE_PRIORITY_CONTROL] [0x12971a0d0] value {length = 1, bytes = 0x00} error Error Domain=IOUSBHostErrorDomain Code=-536870163 "Unable to send device request." UserInfo={NSLocalizedRecoverySuggestion=, NSLocalizedDescription=Unable to send device request., NSLocalizedFailureReason=}

Error:Unable to abort IO. with reason: (null)

Like yours, the usb device worked fine on big sur.

USB 3.0 Hub Broken on Mac OS Monterey 12.0.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.