Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What am I supposed to do with my dead MacMini after Montaray killed it?

What am I supposed to do with my dead MacMini after Monterey killed it?

Mac mini, macOS 12.0

Posted on Oct 28, 2021 3:31 AM

Similar questions

24 replies

Nov 4, 2021 1:22 AM in response to DM88

My Mac mini 2018 stopped properly using Thunderbolt LG Ultrafine 4K in Monterey while HDMI to a TV was fine. SMC & PRAM reset or Revive and even Restore did not help and I downgraded to Big Sur from a bootable Carbon Copy Cloner backup. Now Big Sur works as usual and I'll try Monterey later after it is updated.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253325064

Oct 28, 2021 8:34 AM in response to PRP_53

Spent hours on the phone with the Apple support. The problem is that the new Mac OS stopped supporting some displays (as stupid as it sounds).

Half baked OS, again.

I hope there will be a new OS update soon, as I don't feel like buying a new display just because someone forgot to include a driver in the package.

Oct 28, 2021 8:49 AM in response to DM88

The first thing before an upgrade is that one must confirm if the hardware is compatible and supports the new software.

Incase it isn't, one must never go for an upgrade. Try connecting with a new display or see if it will revert back.

OR Wait if there is an update and that may solve the problem or you may trade it at apple store.

What are the specifics of the Mac Mini.?

Oct 28, 2021 3:53 PM in response to leonbakhan

Please read what I wrote.

The problem is not on the Mac Mini (which was updated and works with other displays), but in the support of Monterey for the display (upon which it was updated) and works beautifully with previous MacOS with the same cable etc.

I hope Apple will update the MacOS (who deletes drivers? what is the logic in that?) promptly. As this is clearly a software issue, it is 100% on them.

Oct 30, 2021 12:27 PM in response to DM88

I have a 24" M1 iMac and have an old VGA ViewSonic HD second display attached with a USB-C to VGA adapter. While it will never be up to the standard of modern displays it would be fine for trouble shooting. While I can't confirm that it works with a MacMini I can confirm the macOS Monterey supports a ViewSonic VGA monitor.

Oct 31, 2021 10:14 AM in response to leonbakhan

DM88, I can understand your frustration, and hopefully you'll find a solution to the issue. It didn't use to be this way with Apple's OS releases, but the last couple of years or so have been brutal. I can only offer a couple of suggestions.

First, in the future (and I know this is of no help now), hold off on installing the "latest & greatest" OS release for at least six months, if not longer. Second, there are many, many folks here who are very knowledgeable and are only trying to help by first getting as much information as possible as it pertains to your system. Work with them. And lastly, try not to let the "that can't possibly be happening" bunch get to you. When Apple released Big Sur, posting, after posting, after posting here complained that MacBooks were being bricked, and it took Apple almost three months to admit (actually, I don't think they ever did) that upgrading to Big Sur was bricking MacBooks. I've been a user of Apple products since the original Macintosh. There have been hiccups of course, but the last few years have been nothing short of brutal.

Oct 31, 2021 10:34 AM in response to MargeHomer

Two cents worth and IMHO.

Often times, the issues are really self inflicted by the level of modifications, outdated extensions, cr*ware installed and lastly, failing to perform the due diligence before attempting a new or newer version of macOS.

That and not having an Exit / Recovery Plan if the installation goes south or sideways.

Yes, Apple is not perfect and does have room for improvement, though, the last really bad experience I had was moving from Tiger to Leopard.

Nov 3, 2021 8:30 PM in response to DM88

I had a similar problem and it turned out to be my external HDD. Once I unplugged it from my iMac and rebooted the installation went its merry way. Luckily the HDD was just a backup of a backup, so nothing lost but the installation DID kill the drive. It was working fine before it and now it doesn't even come up on another Mac.

What am I supposed to do with my dead MacMini after Montaray killed it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.