Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't update macOS Monterey / Missing EFI Boot ROM

Hi,

I am trying to update my MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) to macOS Monterey,

but I keep failing.

Its says “An error occurred while preparing the installation. Try running this application again."

I attached the installer log.

Then, I tried update via the recovery mode (which I only have the internet one), but he wanted me to reinstall macOS Big Sur, not updating to Monterey.

And finally, I tried via USB bootable installation.

in the beginning its seams ok, turn on and off doing the apple logo loading time bar, but a the end  it failed saying my internal storage is not compatible.

when I clicked the about on the macOS update assistant it says OS X Mountain Lion/ Lion, which make no sense because my MacBook shipped with El Capitan/Sierra.

From a little research that I did, I think (but I am surly not an expert) it has something to do with me having no Recovery partition + no EFI Boot ROM, after replacing my SSD.

I saw a way of doing a firmware restoration/restore with Apple Configurator 2 (not even sure if that what I need), but I don't have access to another Mac to try doing that.

Running FirstAid on my SSD (on all the sub disks) was successful and didn't come up with anything.

I attached screenshots of anything that I could come up with to help you help me😉:

diskutil list commend, Hardware system report, Software system report, disk utility, about this mac.

Hope u can help me solve this.

Thank you all in advance 😀

P.S.

1. I don't mind doing restore to my Mac if necessary , I already did that a couple weeks ago and reinstalled macOS so he pretty much wiped out.

2. I still have the old flash storage in hand I it will help.

Posted on Oct 28, 2021 4:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2021 1:04 AM

Update: I solved it.

Why it happened?:

apparently I did had a Recovery partition and EFI Boot ROM, but they were outdated.

the problem was that when u replace an apple ssd with a non Apple original / approved SSD, you won't get firmware updates to your EFI and Boot ROM.

How to fix it: (hope u saved your original ssd)

simply replace your current ssd with the original one, update there to macOS Monterey,

then replace it again with your upgraded one, enter internet recovery mode (option-cmd-R) and install Monterey from there.

My old EFI and Boot ROM Version were:

My current EFI and Boot ROM Version are:

u can check the right firmware of your model here: Which firmware should your Mac be using?(version 6)

Good luck 😀

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 29, 2021 1:04 AM in response to Matan S.T

Update: I solved it.

Why it happened?:

apparently I did had a Recovery partition and EFI Boot ROM, but they were outdated.

the problem was that when u replace an apple ssd with a non Apple original / approved SSD, you won't get firmware updates to your EFI and Boot ROM.

How to fix it: (hope u saved your original ssd)

simply replace your current ssd with the original one, update there to macOS Monterey,

then replace it again with your upgraded one, enter internet recovery mode (option-cmd-R) and install Monterey from there.

My old EFI and Boot ROM Version were:

My current EFI and Boot ROM Version are:

u can check the right firmware of your model here: Which firmware should your Mac be using?(version 6)

Good luck 😀

Oct 30, 2021 1:28 PM in response to andankz

Hi Andankz,

I had the same issue and tried everything else I could come up with and (almost) everything Apple Support suggested to me on Twitter. The last thing they suggested was creating a Time Machine backup, completely erasing my SSD and attempting a fresh install, then restoring the backup. I did not see how that should possibly help update my boot ROM, so I refused to do that but instead searched for the old, original SSD (which I luckily found), and did as Matan suggested. I can confirm that his approach works, but even Apple Support did not come up with an alternative for me.

I guess bringing your MacBook Pro to an Apple store or an Apple service partner might be an option. They should have original SSDs available for updating your boot ROM. Sorry for not having better news. I tried hard to solve the issue without having to use a screw driver for an OS update, but I failed.

Regards,

Andreas

Can't update macOS Monterey / Missing EFI Boot ROM

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.