Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I need to turn off my trackpad. Checking the "Ignore built-in trackpad when mouse or wireless trackpad is present" does not work!

I need to turn off my trackpad. Checking the "Ignore built-in trackpad when mouse or wireless trackpad is present" does not work!

Posted on Oct 28, 2021 8:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2021 9:47 AM

Hi Hubbletoo,

It seems you're having trouble with your trackpad and we can help.

You seem to have found the correct option. Do you have another mouse connected at this time?

If you have another mouse connected and the issue persists, try starting to safe mode and testing again:

Start up your Mac in safe mode

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 29, 2021 9:47 AM in response to Hubbletoo

Hi Hubbletoo,

It seems you're having trouble with your trackpad and we can help.

You seem to have found the correct option. Do you have another mouse connected at this time?

If you have another mouse connected and the issue persists, try starting to safe mode and testing again:

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

Oct 29, 2021 12:01 PM in response to Hubbletoo

Hi Hubbletoo,

To clarify, starting to safe mode will clear relevant caches and prevents software conflicts so that can ensure your Mac is working as expected and isolate the issue.

Here's how to use safe mode:

Per this article: Change Mouse & Trackpad preferences for accessibility on Mac

"Ignore built-in trackpad when mouse or wireless trackpad is present

Disable the built-in trackpad on your Mac when you use a mouse or wireless trackpad.

If you use a non-Apple mouse, the driver software that came with your mouse may prevent this option from working as expected. For information, see the documentation for your mouse."

If you're trying to disable the trackpad without having another mouse or trackpad present, try turning on mouse keys along with disabling the trackpad: Control the pointer using Mouse Keys on Mac

Best regards.

Oct 29, 2021 12:01 PM in response to Hubbletoo

Hi Hubbletoo,

To clarify, starting to safe mode will clear relevant caches and prevents software conflicts so that can ensure your Mac is working as expected and isolate the issue.

Here's how to use safe mode:

Per this article: Change Mouse & Trackpad preferences for accessibility on Mac

"Ignore built-in trackpad when mouse or wireless trackpad is present

Disable the built-in trackpad on your Mac when you use a mouse or wireless trackpad.

If you use a non-Apple mouse, the driver software that came with your mouse may prevent this option from working as expected. For information, see the documentation for your mouse."

If you're trying to disable the trackpad without having another mouse or trackpad present, try turning on mouse keys along with disabling the trackpad: Control the pointer using Mouse Keys on Mac

Best regards.

Oct 29, 2021 10:38 AM in response to Hubbletoo

To respond that "I have used the correct procedure for isolating the trackpad" is NOT helpful as I already identified in the question that this procedure DOES NOT WORK. This is frustrating - does anybody have a solution? Seems the issue is prevalent - perhaps the upgrade t o Monterey will provide a solution - a On/Off toggle would be ideal!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.