Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Failed upgrade to Monterey on MacBook Pro (retina, 13 inch, early 2015)

Tried several times. Most times it just fails without explanation. Some times it complains about incompatible storage firmware. Big Sur is running fine on this machine and it is included on the compatible list for Monterey. Is that list a lie?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Oct 28, 2021 10:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2021 10:30 AM

Is the original/Apple SD is installed? For some Mac, the Monterey upgrade and update the Mac's firmware and you need and Apple SSD installed in order to update the firmware and update to Monterey. I have no seen a workaround. One you install Monterey on the Mac you can remove the Apple SSD and instal a non-Apple SSD and then upgrade to Monterey.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 28, 2021 10:30 AM in response to TMMITW

Is the original/Apple SD is installed? For some Mac, the Monterey upgrade and update the Mac's firmware and you need and Apple SSD installed in order to update the firmware and update to Monterey. I have no seen a workaround. One you install Monterey on the Mac you can remove the Apple SSD and instal a non-Apple SSD and then upgrade to Monterey.

Oct 28, 2021 11:24 AM in response to lllaass

I do have a 1TB SSD upgrade (Aura Pro X2) installed but it is obviously 'compatible' since it has been running for over 2 years on Mojave, Catalina and Big Sur. I think Apple needs to fix the firmware update script in the Monterey installer.

This does seem like a logical approach but the cost is opening up the case two times. That is more risk than I want to take on for the benefit of installing Monterey. I hope Apple is listening to this thread.

Oct 29, 2021 9:04 AM in response to TMMITW

I can confirm the same error.

System: Mac Pro 2013

Installer throws error and says to try again.

Aura Pro X2 Installed in Mac Pro.

Removed, replaced with Factory Original SSD, and upgraded from High Sierra to Monterey.

Screen flashed several times on reboot, indicating firmware upgrade was in progress.

Once installed, removed Factory Original SSD, reinstalled Aura Pro X2 SSD.

Boot, and ran Monterey installer.

Installer completes correctly. Posting from Monterey now.

I had the Monterey installer copied on an external drive, from which I ran it both times to do the install.

Something to note: I tried booting from the Factory Original SSD in an OWC external enclosure. This worked, and I was able to boot into High Sierra, and even activate the Monterey Installer that was on the other external enclosure.

My plan was to boot using the Factory Original SSD and tell the installer to install Monterey on the Aura Pro X2 (which was still installed in the Mac). However, the installer does not "see" the Aura Pro X2 like this (says it cannot read the drive), and it does not show as an option to select which drive to install to.

Hope this helps someone.

Oct 31, 2021 8:52 AM in response to TMMITW

Ridiculous! Original SSD on MBP Early 2015 and can't install Monterey. APPLE: IT JUST DOESN'T WORK(s)!... :(

TMMITW wrote:

Tried several times. Most times it just fails without explanation. Some times it complains about incompatible storage firmware. Big Sur is running fine on this machine and it is included on the compatible list for Monterey. Is that list a lie?

Nov 19, 2021 8:06 PM in response to lllaass

Apple has to be working on a fix for this! This definitely sounds like the programers forgot that the 2013 Mac Pro was designed to be upgradable. I too have an OWC 1TB SSD and I get the same error message. Now I have to see if I have the old Apple SSD, but I think I'll just wait for Apple to release the revised SSD flash for non-Apple SSD's. Monterey was too good to be true.....

Nov 20, 2021 1:47 AM in response to Volt-Mac

The " Walled Garden " of Apple gets higher and higher. Although the After Market SSD may have worked on Big Sur - it apparent to me, the bar has been set higher for Apple Original Parts - for now.

An aside and perspective - even Microsoft has raised the bar for Windows 11. Older machine without TPM 2.xx can not upgrade beyond Windows 10.

Failed upgrade to Monterey on MacBook Pro (retina, 13 inch, early 2015)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.