Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac (mid 2017)Is there a USB hub that can be plugged into the thunderbolt outlet?

iMac (mid 2017)Is there a USB hub that can be plugged into the thunderbolt outlet?

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 12.0

Posted on Oct 28, 2021 2:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2021 3:29 PM

Yes. The Thunderbolt-3 ports also double as USB-C/USB 3.1 ports. You can use any generic USB-C hub, but I would suggest avoiding hubs that advertise pass-through laptop charging unless they come with their own power cable: the last one I used failed to provide device power when used as a bus-powered device for a desktop Mac.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 28, 2021 3:29 PM in response to tommui987

Yes. The Thunderbolt-3 ports also double as USB-C/USB 3.1 ports. You can use any generic USB-C hub, but I would suggest avoiding hubs that advertise pass-through laptop charging unless they come with their own power cable: the last one I used failed to provide device power when used as a bus-powered device for a desktop Mac.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.