Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Re-installing Previous Version of Pages

The latest version of Pages 10 was acting up on my mid 2012 macbook pro/Catalina 10.15.7. So as I've done in the past, I trashed it, then went out to App Store to reinstall. Pages was recently updated to version 11 which is now incompatible with Catalina, and Big Sur is incompatible with my laptop.

Question: Where can I get a hold of the previous, compatible version I need so I can re-install it, as opposed to loading a backup of my entire computer?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 28, 2021 4:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2021 5:24 AM

Launch the Mac App Store, and sign in with the Apple ID that you originally used to install Pages. Use the cmd+0 (zero) keyboard shortcut to open that past purchases panel. Locate Pages and if there is an Update button, click that. You will immediately be advised via a dialog that you need Big Sur, but a secondary dialog or sheet may descend offering to install the last compatible version of Pages (v11.1) on Catalina.

If the above does not occur, then from your Time Machine backup, restore Pages from there. That will be as good as it gets.

If the first two paragraphs fail, then you will be stuck using Pages for iCloud, or Pages for iOS/iPadOS. Apple does not provide independent user downloads of past full version installers for Pages, Numbers, or Keynote.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 29, 2021 5:24 AM in response to rokgod1

Launch the Mac App Store, and sign in with the Apple ID that you originally used to install Pages. Use the cmd+0 (zero) keyboard shortcut to open that past purchases panel. Locate Pages and if there is an Update button, click that. You will immediately be advised via a dialog that you need Big Sur, but a secondary dialog or sheet may descend offering to install the last compatible version of Pages (v11.1) on Catalina.

If the above does not occur, then from your Time Machine backup, restore Pages from there. That will be as good as it gets.

If the first two paragraphs fail, then you will be stuck using Pages for iCloud, or Pages for iOS/iPadOS. Apple does not provide independent user downloads of past full version installers for Pages, Numbers, or Keynote.

Re-installing Previous Version of Pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.