Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk Utility on Monterey generates error when creating a disk image

The error message below appears when I attempted to create a disk image of a folder stored on an external disk. The exact same command worked when the folder was moved to an internal drive.

- Pie Lover

Posted on Oct 28, 2021 6:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2021 4:52 AM

Thanks for confirming your experience. As a workaround, try copying the external folder to an internal volume (I used the system volume) and then run the Disk Utility on the copy. The Disk Utility will create a disk image that should be identical to the one created using the utility in Big Sur (or earlier versions of macOS) using the folder on the external volume.

- Pie Lover

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 29, 2021 4:52 AM in response to dialabrain

Thanks for confirming your experience. As a workaround, try copying the external folder to an internal volume (I used the system volume) and then run the Disk Utility on the copy. The Disk Utility will create a disk image that should be identical to the one created using the utility in Big Sur (or earlier versions of macOS) using the folder on the external volume.

- Pie Lover

Disk Utility on Monterey generates error when creating a disk image

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.