Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk Utility - New disk image directly from folder on external drive is failing

The Disk Utility throws error 60 when trying to create a new disk image directly from a folder on an external drive. I've reported the issue to Apple Support so, hopefully, it will come to the attention of the appropriate engineering team and be fixed in a future update.

As a workaround, first copying the desired folder to the internal (system) drive and then creating the disk image (using the copy) works. Unfortunately, this can be a problem for large folders due to the extra (temporary) storage required.

- Pie Lover

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Feb 6, 2022 4:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2022 9:28 AM

Erasing and restoring the APFS Container fixed the issue. I see 1 of 2 possibilities:

1. interaction between Disk Utility block I/O for disk images and purging of local snapshots when available storage is low
  2. subtle problem with APFS file system on volume which wasn't detected or repaired using Disk Utility First Aid

P.S. I asked Apple Support to close this case

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 10, 2022 9:28 AM in response to BlueberryLover

Erasing and restoring the APFS Container fixed the issue. I see 1 of 2 possibilities:

1. interaction between Disk Utility block I/O for disk images and purging of local snapshots when available storage is low
  2. subtle problem with APFS file system on volume which wasn't detected or repaired using Disk Utility First Aid

P.S. I asked Apple Support to close this case

Disk Utility - New disk image directly from folder on external drive is failing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.